I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: American Titanium guides Rings?
Posted by: David Banaka (209.152.39.---)
Date: December 01, 2004 07:04PM

I cannot speak for American Tackle Tich or Fuji Tich but I do know that Forecast has a really good line of Titanium plated guides that I have been using for a while now. As far as harness goes they are not as hard as the Sic guides but very close. On the Vickers Hardness Scale they rate as follows.

Sic about 2150
Titanium Zirconium about 1600
Hard Rings about 1300

They use the PVD process to coat there frames and rings.

They offer Tich coated frames with Blue Rings (Titanium Oxide), Gold Rings (Titanium Nitrate), and Bright Gray Rings (Titanium Hydrogenation). They also offer a black frame with the blue Titanium Oxide rings.

During the PVD process, ceramic zirconia ingot material is melted by an Electron Beam in a high vacuum chamber. At temperatures exceeding 3000 °C (5500 °F), the zirconia evaporates and a coating adheres to the component surface through subsequent condensation. The zirconia ingot is a special zirconia type developed for thermal barrier applications at high temperatures which is sintered to a rod shape for automatic feeding during the process.

All in all a great guide. You can find them "Rainshadow/Forceast" on the left in the sponsor list.

Hope this helps. I am sure the principles are the same.

Options: ReplyQuote
Not plated
Posted by: William Colby (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: December 01, 2004 07:53PM

David,

These new guides are not titanium plated, they are solid titanium alloy. The plated ones peel and rust, the solid ones do not.

Posted by: Jerry Kelly (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 01, 2004 09:54PM

The word "alloy" send up a warning flag to me.
5% titanium would be enough to call it Titanium Alloy yet most consumers will think they're purchasing solid titanium.

How much titanium is in these frames? How about the Fuji's?

Also, so as to compare apples to apples, what are the differences between the Fuji Gold Cermet ring and the Nanolite ring?

Posted by: David Banaka (209.152.39.---)
Date: December 01, 2004 10:05PM

The ones I use do not peal and rust. The frames are Stainless as well. I have never had a problem with them. Personal prference I guess. I will stick with what works :o) and works well with quality.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: December 01, 2004 10:05PM

Apple to Apple??? Who ever compared them in any way to Gold Cermet?? Apple to Apple would be more like comparing to Alconite

Mike

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.longhl01.md.comcast.net)
Date: December 01, 2004 10:18PM

I believe a similar discussion happened ?last year? - at that time Joe Meehan was the only supplier / sponsor who provided what could be considered a 'full disclosure' along with independent laboratory tests (at least as I recall) for the American Tackle guides (zirconium rings). What I think turned out as the 'bottom line' was that independent testing - submitting alconite, zirconium, cermet, SIC etc for evaluation to a lab would be the only true benchmark. The secondary conclusions were similar to what has been posted above: If you and your customers are happy with what you are currently using you can choose to try new or not.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: December 01, 2004 10:30PM

Obviously, I haven't seen them yet, but with AMTAK's track record, you can bet I will as soon as I can get my hands on them!!

Mike

Posted by: Emory Harry (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: December 01, 2004 11:59PM

David,
I am fairly sure that a vapor deposition process involves a very strong electro-static field that pulls atoms of titanium off by secondary emission not by melting with an electron beam. This is a new process to the guide manufacturers but it has been used in the semiconductor and hybrid circuit industry for many years.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.152.54.181.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: December 02, 2004 08:44AM

Not even Fuji makes guide frames from 100% titanium material. It would be nearly impossible to do so and would result in a guide frame that would be quite poor with regard to many of the qualities we desire.

Posted by: Ted Morgan (213.55.68.---)
Date: December 02, 2004 09:43AM

Bang on target. Pure titanium really is a beast to produce, form, machine, etc. Almost every strcutural metal these days is an alloy. What do you think stainless steel is? And why does "alloy" send up a warning flag.

I'm warming to this stuff. I think it'll especially appeal to fellas who don't wash regularly (hahahahahahah!!). I'd love to see them. And also bring them out in fly guides and tops too.

With regards to halide being plenty hard enough for 99% of uses, Mr. Meehan, how come there are no fly guides in the hard chrome/halide rign finish combination? Ditto fly tops. Your guide size/tube size combinations also leave a lot to be desired. Particularly the smaller tube sizes. How about light spin style tops? Fuji, Pac bay and Forecast all make these. They are lighter than normal tops, and more tangle free than ordinary ceramic fly tops when used with spin gear and light line.

Posted by: Rob Grider. (---.digitalgroup.net)
Date: December 02, 2004 05:11PM

I was just going to say and you beat me to it that all titanium alloys are not the same. In the eyeglass frame industry, you can have very significant differences between various titanium frames depending how much nickle and other materials are used in the alloy.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster