I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

My options help
Posted by: Donald Newenhouse (---.dialsprint.net)
Date: November 30, 2004 08:38PM

Hi! All Rod builders, this quest might be some what long and I apologize but I need some opinons or ideas.
Today in my travales I found a 8'6" pp8578 (2.59m) #7 fly line 2 piece fly rod along side the road.It was broken in two places. First break 2" below tip top second break 17" below tip top.It has a shakespeare #16 reel seat that is creamed,one cork ring that was over the hood wiped out.I'm not a fly fisherman never worked for me,However I know that this rod could not be used for fly fishing again right?So I thought that I could do away with the first break splice the second break and make a split rear grip and use it for a light spinner out of it. What do you all think? It also had a balanced oren-o-matic south bend reel,wiped out--gone what a bumber.
All replies appreciated DON

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: My options help
Posted by: Rick Koontz (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 30, 2004 08:44PM

Don,

You can make it as good as new (whatever good that is). Since you're stripping the seat and grip anyway, just strip down the whole rod. Fix the breaks first. Both breaks can be fixed with an outer sleve of fiberglass. Follow the instructions in the library or from rodmaker and you'll be just fine. Make sure the sleves fit well.

Next, strip the bottom of the rod. Inspect for damage, fix as necessary, and build back up. You've got a brand new rod to fish and a lot of good practice in repairs.

Thanks,
Rick

Posted by: William Colby (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: November 30, 2004 09:04PM

It's a lot of trouble for a rod that isn't much good but it would make an interesting project if you've got time on your hands. So why not?

Posted by: Travis Thompson (---.mad.wi.charter.com)
Date: December 01, 2004 12:43AM

When you are done you will be left with a Shakespeare. but thanks for picking up the litter along the road. Just kiding!!!! you may be surprised what you come up with but dont stick any money into it. Maybe if you have some leftover guides from another broken rod and salvage a reel seat from something.

Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: December 01, 2004 09:06AM

It sounds like a good project for learning, otherwise I would put the rod in a trash bin. If money is no object, buy yourself an inexpensive rod kit from some of our sponsers and build a rod that you can be proud of owning.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster