I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

heating the epoxy???
Posted by: Ken Blevins (---.pittpa.adelphia.net)
Date: November 30, 2004 04:37PM

How many of you use a heat gun to turn the epoxy to a more liquid form when you are filling an area.? Does this affect the epoxy as far as holding power goes. Pros and cons of using this method are welcome
Ken Blevins
So many questions , so little time

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: heating the epoxy???
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.152.54.174.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: November 30, 2004 04:42PM

If you're referring to epoxy adhesive, you should not use it to fill in empty areas or large gaps. Bonding strength relies on a thin film or line of adhesive, not a bunch of epoxy poured into a joint.

If you're referring to epoxy wrap finish, heating will speed the set and cure, so you have to be careful how much heat you apply and for how long.

For the strongest epoxy bonds, you want close fitting parts or joints. A snug or slip fit is best (neither sloppy loose nor very tight). Parts should fit closely. Clamping is not necessary for epoxy, but you must make certain that you have covered all mating surfaces with adhesive - do not apply it only to one side or one surface. Get both covered and then slide the parts together. This is the preferred method for any liquid or gel type epoxy.

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: November 30, 2004 04:59PM

When using a heat gun on epoxy finish, the air currents can stir things up and get dust and others into your finish. I use a Bic style lighter when needing heat-and use it as sparingly as possible.
I've never used heat on epoxy adhesive except when fixing a factory reel seat that came loose. I've microwaved it, sucked it into a syringe and injected it into holes drilled where the reel's foot will cover them as I turn the reel seat to get the glue all around the blank.
Putter

Posted by: Patrick Vernacchio (---.telalaska.com)
Date: November 30, 2004 05:26PM

Ken, I use an alcohol lamp/torch to "gently" heat the finish. I even use it to heat the mini aluminum pie plate that the bulk of my finish is in after mixing and pouring. With just a couple puffs of flame, it turns the epoxy to a running lquid, which allows me to finish the last few wraps. I use it on the wraps to thin the finish a little faster to pull the excess away. I don't use any motorized heat gun because that would only disturb any dust particles that have settled in my work area.

Patrick Vernacchio

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: November 30, 2004 06:22PM

Like Tom said. If you are talking about epoxy adhesive, filling a gap or void does nothing but add weight. Epoxy does not strengthen anything, it bonds things together and doesn't take much.

If you are talking about finish epoxy, a SMALL amount of heat is sometimes used to thin & level when applying .

We could give you better opinions if we new what you were doing and what you were using.
Finish epoxy and adhesive epoxy are two completely different animals

Mike

Posted by: Ken Blevins (---.pittpa.adelphia.net)
Date: December 01, 2004 07:10AM

Mike Barkley
I guess I should explain that I am trying to build a split reel seat and grip .The areas I have tried to fill [ w/ 2 ton epoxy from wal-mart ] are where the fore grip would meet the reel seat , any cavity's where the seat is split and open and where the rear grips are split.. From reading some of the responses to my questions I am beginning to understand that I don't know a lot about rod building , but I will learn from my mistakes. I always make my arbors to fit snug and I always use W-M epoxy for that.
thanks
Ken Blevins

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster