I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

components for steelhead blanks
Posted by: Shawn Richard (---.click-network.com)
Date: November 30, 2004 02:54PM

I am curious where all of you buy your handle parts for your longer salmon and steelhead blanks. Most of the cork is too short. I am looking for a handle kit with a rear cork length of 13 to 14 inches. I have yet to find a company that has both spinning and casting handle kits that are long enough. Thank you for helping a begginer.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: components for steelhead blanks
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.lsil.com)
Date: November 30, 2004 03:21PM

Angler's Workshop, right in the middle of steelhead country has what you need in many styles and from many suppliers. Many of them sponsors on the left.

Posted by: Emory Harry (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: November 30, 2004 04:29PM

Shawn,
You can use two shorter pieces. Just cut the ends square and epoxy them on the blank together.

Posted by: David A Tomasch (---.clvdoh.adelphia.net)
Date: November 30, 2004 04:51PM

Shawn, You may want to rethink the rear cork being so long. Trust me I built a steelhead rod and thought a 10" rear grip would help balance it out. The only thing it did was get in my way when I tried to cast. I would go with a 7" with a 1 to 2 inch butt cap. Just a thought. Dave Tomasch

Posted by: Grant Darby (---.sequimschools.wednet.edu)
Date: November 30, 2004 06:29PM

Emory has it right, or you could use individual rings to get any length you want.

Posted by: Steve Ekstrand (---.sea1-4.27.224.38.sea1.dsl-verizon.net)
Date: November 30, 2004 07:18PM

I build primarily salmon and steelhead rods. Have evolved to the point that I put 14 inch rear grip on all of them, just the most comfortable for me. I get them from Greg's Custom Rods, site to the left. Has been a couple of years but believe at one time I bought St. Croix handle kits with 14 inch rear grip.

Posted by: Richard's Rod & Reel (---.tbaytel.net)
Date: November 30, 2004 08:40PM

We've set up a good number of rod builders building steelhead rods. I'll be glad to discuss your needs for your expectations.
We also carry St. Croix complete handle kits , or if you just want 14" cork straight grips we have that. Range of reel seats, blanks and guides for steelhead fishing custom rods.

Rich Garbowski
Richard's Rod & Reel
info@rodreel.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster