I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Getting started with a Power Wrapper
Posted by: Paul Dunstan (---.plus.com)
Date: November 29, 2004 12:07PM

Well, courtesy of the nice people at Shoff Tackle, I took delivery today of a Forecast Power Wrapper.
Now power wrappers are about as common as horse sh*t on the freeway here in the UK and I'd never seen a power wrapper 'til I took it out of the box!
Goes together in a very logical manner - I even read the instructions (unusual for me!) and I've had a little play with it.
Problem - how do you start the wrap? Am I missing something?

Paul

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Getting started with a Power Wrapper
Posted by: Larry Thomas (---.chcgil2.dsl-verizon.net)
Date: November 29, 2004 12:59PM

By hand just like in the past. Understand it takes time to get use to a PW. Someone told me you make the same mistakes just faster.

You will find some guides near the end of the rod are easier to do by turning it by hand instead of under power.

It took me 3 or 4 rods before I got the feel and learned to work with it. At first I would have sent it back but now I wouldn't take for it. it really shines on the finishing process.

Posted by: Patrick Vernacchio (---.telalaska.com)
Date: November 29, 2004 01:49PM

You can manually wrap by turning the large wheel behind the chuck, or attach the rubber O ring to the large wheel and the larger motor, which is attached to the foot pedal. I've done both and they work out fine, depending on what I have wrapped.

Posted by: E Scott Koehler (---.229.30.43.Dial1.Detroit1.Level3.net)
Date: November 29, 2004 10:49PM

Practicemakes perfect!!! Start with a ski-pole large diameter blank. use size C or D thread and let it rip. Once you master that dang foot pedal you will be ready for fly rods and ultra lights. If yours has a rolling thread carriage it will almost wrap itself.
Good Luck

Posted by: Jon Jenkins (---.dialsprint.net)
Date: November 30, 2004 09:42PM

Yup, after a few rods you will be able to start the wraps under power. However, I still use it and it was of great benefit when I started to buy a rheostat control and wire it in your power cord. I bought a dimmer switch for lights. With the Clemens wrapper I had a hard time modulating the speed so I use the dimmer to do it for me. After a couple of years on the wrapper I no longer really use it, but it is there if I need it. Only concern is could shorten the life of the motor, but I have been wrapping on this for 5 years without a hitch, of course, Clemens sends it with a Dayton motor which is one of the best in the industry.
Hope that helps. IF you have questions about setting it up with the dimmer, let me know.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster