I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Test Casting Questions - fly rod
Posted by: Mike Rury (---.com)
Date: November 29, 2004 10:55AM

I'm building a buddy a 10 weight (Dan Craft 5 rivers blank), and have a couple of questions. As this is my first rod that isn't for me, I'd like to really do well at building a great rod.

I'm locating the stripping guide, and during the test cast, want to minimize the overshoot while also keeping the guide in a comfortable position to reach the line for stripping back in (any other reasons for test casting to locate the stripping guide?).

When shooting line, the line sometimes wraps around the blank just as the end of it is shooting through... so that it's wrapped around the blank but tight to the reel. Is this normal? Any way to minimize this from happening by moving the stripping guide? It also happens to the 10 weight I built for myself last winter, and actually is more annoying because it wraps around the hookkeeper, and doesn't "self-correct". So maybe it's my casting/hauling/shooting.

Also, anyway to minimize this problem with the hookkeeper on a fly rod? Anyone put the hookkeeper at an angle to minimize this problem (i.e. on the outside of the blank)?

Thanks for any suggestions/thoughts.

Mike

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Test Casting Questions - fly rod
Posted by: Kevin Kresowaty (---.AS.YSU.EDU)
Date: November 29, 2004 11:02AM

Try mounting the the hook keeper so that it is in line with the guides, in other words, on the "bottom" of the blank.

You could also drill a hole somewhere in the front hood of the reel seat as a hookkeeper. (assuming a large enough peice of the hood is exposed.) Some higher priced seats are already outfitted in such a manner.

Kevin

Posted by: Don Davis (199.173.224.---)
Date: November 29, 2004 11:13AM

Mike. Did you use a tamer? If not try a smaller guide 4 inches from the biggest stripper or a bigger guide 4 inches in front of the current stripper. I have gone to using taller single foot spinning guides for strippers to help with the winding line problem. You might want to try a 2/0 single wire as a hook keep.

Posted by: Bill Moschler (---.ag.utk.edu)
Date: November 29, 2004 11:46AM

I would leave the hookeeper off on a 10 wt. My line wraps around the end of the rod also, sometimes. I am pretty sure it is bad casting. I don't see how where the stripper is would affect this problem much.
Ditto the double stripper setup. I use it on most all fly rods now.

Posted by: Alex Norris (---.117.40.69.ip.alltel.net)
Date: November 29, 2004 12:38PM

This is a common problem.It is an operator error mostly. It is caused by completely letting go of the line and leaving it to do whatever.
If you will practice forming a circle with your thumb and Pointer finger around the line when you release it for the shoot,the problem will go away. No more difficult to learn and just as practically effective as using your thumb on a baitcaster/revolving spool reel.

Posted by: Rob Grider (---.client.insightBB.com)
Date: November 29, 2004 02:03PM

What Alex said, forming another guide with your line hand will prevent this most of the time.

Posted by: Don Davis (---.ssa.gov)
Date: November 29, 2004 02:48PM

Alex and Rob. Forming an extra guide with your finger will cerainly work, but what do you suppose the friction coefficient across a finger is? As a wild guess, I suspect the line is being slowed through the upper guides, leaving the line between the reel and the stripper to whip around with the excess momentum. A slicker set up on the upper half of the rod might also cure the problem.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.152.54.109.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: November 29, 2004 05:04PM

There is nothing you can do to the rod or guides to prevent what you describe - it's a casting error.

Posted by: Mike Rury (---.com)
Date: November 30, 2004 10:19AM

Thanks for all the suggestions... and I do make the "OK" sign with my left hand when shooting line. actually did it when test casting, got rid of the wrap around, but wanted to confirm if it's caster error, or design error (caster error... and trust me, he's an idiot).

Posted by: Andrew Toynbee (198.239.63.---)
Date: November 30, 2004 04:16PM

As for your question about the hook keeper, I no longer put them on the rods I make. Personally, I NEVER use them. Rather, I bring the leader down around the reel foot, and back up the rod to the first stripping guide, and hook the fly to the near foot of the stripper. That way I have about three feet of fly line out of the tip top, and simply release the fly from the stripper, shake out some more line, and start my cast. My "customers" who asked about the lack of a hook keeper were tickled to learn this old trick, and not one has complained since.

Andrew

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster