I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

New concept question
Posted by: kim nordblad (---.it.volvo.com)
Date: November 29, 2004 02:27AM

Hi folks, I need your advice on this one. I´m in process of building an extra light 6´ 2pc 2-6lb line rating blank. I´m using the new guide concept system as described on the library page here on this board. The thing is, I will use for running guides number 6 flystyle guides. The intersection point is located about 19 1/2 inch from tip top. (50 cm). Now, how would you experienced builders set this up, 4 running guides or 5 running guides. I´ve tried both and heres what Í´ve found out. With 4 running guides the distance between the guides is 5 inch (about) and the rod feels better (faster) recovers better but looks kind of "empty" in the tip section. Static stress is not bad in fact mutch better than any factory made rod I have. Now with 5 running guides the rod feels slower , dont recover that good and the distance between the guides is slightly less than 4 inches (10 cm). But the rod looks better, have better stress curve but action is not that big difference, however I can tell theres a difference. I know, always use the smallest and fewest guiders that still will do the job. How is your experience, Could there be possible line slap in the tip section if running guides were 5 inches apart.? (Nr 6 flystyle). Or should I use 5 guides and live with a little slower rod? How would you do this? Appreciate any inputs, and/or advice. thanks Kim

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New concept question
Posted by: Pavel Novolokin (---.Moscow.dial.rol.ru)
Date: November 29, 2004 04:07AM

Kim,

I used to build a couple of rods of the same class as you described (both on Rainshadow ISP781 blanks; great model BTW :-)). The rods came out having total 7 guides (#6 fly type for running, of course). Later, I saw 4.2 kg pike landed with this rod... So probably, if you prefer a bit "faster" feeling, it's nothing really wrong to stay with 4 "runners"
Just my couple of cents...

Pavel

Date: November 29, 2004 04:10AM

I forgot to ask, the setup where I was using 4 guides 5 inch apart the distance from tip top to first guide was also 5 inch. Isn´t this a bit mutch for sutch a light rod? Thanks Kim.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.9.38.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: November 29, 2004 04:15AM

Those extra lights have pretty wimpy tips. On all my light rods I start with the first guide at 4'. Then add a little as I go down the rod, say num. 2 at 4 1/2" then 5" and so on. I would think the less with the faster action would be my choice

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.45.65.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: November 29, 2004 07:55AM

Also what I have found is to use a fly line when doing the static test. Easyer to see the line flow with the blank

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.152.54.33.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: November 29, 2004 08:35AM

4 guides at 5 inches apart is fine. But I wouldn't go any more than that without adding one additional guide.

If you want it to look more like what you're used to, you could space those running guides slightly progressively - put the first one at 4, then one 5 inches behind that, then another 6 inches behind that, so on. But generally you can space them all equal distances and do just as well. You're just not used to looking at that type set up.

Line slap is an issue between the reel spool and the first guide, but not really anywhere else. By the time you reach the intersection point, the line will be traveling straight.

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (208.33.68.---)
Date: November 29, 2004 10:28AM

Ditto what Tom stated. The line should be choked down by the first guide and any further wobble should be nearly gone by the second guide. You have already done a static distribution test and found that 4 guides are the way to go...why stress over that 5th guide as you already have found it kills your action? As Tom said, progressively space the guides on the tip and see how it looks. Best of luck! Jay

Date: November 29, 2004 11:38PM

Allright that´s what I suspected, thanks folks. Later... Kim

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster