I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Poorly Built Ice Rods?
Posted by: Raymond Mazza (---.syr.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 27, 2004 11:54PM

I had a customer bring me two rods to swap grips on. The favored grip was on a broken Thorne Bros. rods and the rod it was to go on, came from a large sporting goods chain. Both grips were removed by using hot water to loosen the epoxy holding them on. There was very little epoxy and masking tape on the Thorne Bros. rod and the blank extended into the cork by approx. 6". In addition, one masking tape arbor was not permeated by the epoxy. The other two were as that was the only place that epoxy was applied, on the tape. The chain store rod on the other hand, had only 3" of blank extending into the cork grip but the cork was bored just large enough to slip over the butt. At least there is a life time warranty on Thorne Bros. products should that grip have failed. The feel of that grip was hollow and certainly didn't give the St. Croix blank it's full potential. If the store rod's grip had weakened it most likely would have pulled free of the blank since there was so little to support it to begin with. I suggest taking photos of things such as this. Keep them in an album so that when someone asks you what you do that is different than the other guys or from a "factory" rod, you can show them. We all have our own way of doing things, both with material choices and techniques and that is fine. Just be sure to do it well. The individual's work makes the difference. My 2 cents. Opinions? Thanks all.
Ray

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Poorly Built Ice Rods?
Posted by: Bill Pulk (64.122.91.---)
Date: November 28, 2004 09:55AM

I build alot of ice rods useing st.criox ice blanks with 8"tenn.handles.I run the handle in and out 5 to 6 times, add epoxy each time to get plenty of it in side the handle.If the thorne bro. rod is life time warranty why did your customer bring it to you,why not them.I live in the same state they are in and was just wondering.if you took pic I sure would like a copy if you did'nt mind.you could e-mail them

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.36.87.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: November 28, 2004 10:57AM

And people ask Why a custom rod?

Posted by: Travis Thompson (---.mad.wi.charter.com)
Date: November 28, 2004 11:23AM

I use light wood like balsa or lace wood and a size 16 reel seat. In my opinion it makes for a better quality ice rod. most the guys I build them for want them just because it has a good reel seat.

Posted by: Bill Swift (---.snlo.dialup.fix.net)
Date: November 28, 2004 12:35PM

I used to get, let's say....."upset" with people who brought cheap rods in for repair. When asked why they buy this stuff, 99% tell me it is the ole "Buy one and, if you break it, you get two free". Most of my customers do not fall for this and do not look at a quality fishing rod as something to use once and throw away. About half of my business was built on people who brought cheap rods in for repair, after going through the proctoology exam process of trying to return a broken rod.

Someone once asked me "Besides the blank manufacturer guarantee, what guarantee do you offer on your workmanship?. We were in my shop which is slightly detatched from my home and I told him to look around. I have been in the same place for 24 years. I have no plans to move out of the country anytime soon. If you call me with a problem, you will talk to someone breathing, with a pulse. He ordered three rods. None have been returned..............

Obviously, Raymond Mazza and quite a few other rodbuilders have a sense of responsibility and ownership in what they do. I try to do the same.

Posted by: Raymond Mazza (---.syr.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 28, 2004 01:35PM

Bill,
The Thorne Bros. rod blank was broken due to carelessness and the gentelman wanted the grip removed and placed on the Chain Store Rod. I do have pictures and I'll send them to you later.
Ray

Posted by: Bill Pulk (64.122.91.---)
Date: November 28, 2004 01:52PM

THANKS RAYMOND...I'LL BE LOOKIN FOR THEM...BY THE WAY CHECK YOUR WANTED ADD...I GOT SOME INFO FOR YOU...BILL

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster