I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

spreading
Posted by: levi farster (---.essex1.com)
Date: November 27, 2004 08:40PM

Hello all. I havent posted for awhile, but I still read the posts every couple of days and I have to say that you guys are alright. I see people post advice, and warnings about safety, and product referances for people in need. I am impressed. I belong to a Union trade, and I cannot find a site that is this busy, or where the information flows so freely or is given with such good intentions. I dont want to embarass anyone or bore you with sappy sentiments, but I can honestly say that although some posts are pretty stuffy, all of them are great. I hope this site is around for my son to enjoy. Have a good christmas may we all get rod lathes worth thousands of dollars! And beer!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: spreading
Posted by: Mike Ballard (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: November 27, 2004 09:02PM

I agree. Nowhere else can you get the kind of free exchange of rod building info that you get here. I remember when the site was just starting and all the people who said it would never work, rules were too strict, too much competition, too many problems and all that. While there are a handful of other really good rod building sites out there, I really don't think any of them compare to this one overall.

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: November 28, 2004 09:52AM

Hi, Levi - HTG & a Merry Xmas from Mr. Stuffy. How did your short & stout small mouth rod turn out, the one for bank fishing, with a walk-in thru dense brush? Which blank did you use? -Cliff Hall, Gainesville, FL-

Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 28, 2004 10:31AM

Rod lathes and Beer!!! :)

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.36.87.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: November 28, 2004 11:06AM

OOOh Beeeer!!!

Posted by: levi farster (---.essex1.com)
Date: November 28, 2004 02:18PM

Cliff, ditto. I used a Calstar BT6455/H. Its
stuck in a Pac Bay #4 uni-butt. It turned out great, except I wasn't happy with the wraps on the guide feet. I applied my epoxy
while the rod was spinning on my homemade lathe, and it was hard to get it smooth. The brush seemed to want to jump as it passed over the foot, but I figured it out and now I
apply the epoxy in several thin coats, then spin it to dry. It works better, but I still get some creep on the frame, I wish I could turn still slower. I got a couple more in the works, the rod is super stout, but heavy for all day creek adventures. I wanted to give it to a friend, but its just not good enough.
I think I,ll use it for catfish and gar at lock and dam 13 on the mississippi. The next one will be even shorter, I foresee some line slap problems with the large (50) (40) initiall guides I plan on using. Happy Holidays all.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster