I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
My Rod Bond is Gelled
Posted by: Fran Park (---.atlaga.adelphia.net)
Date: November 27, 2004 07:55PM

Okay, I have read a dozen recent postings purporting Rod Bond to be the best there is for glueing up reel seats and grips. I have some, bot both parts have turned to a thick jelly. If I can't liquify it, I will be hard-pressed to measure equal parts. I have to believe there are dozens of you out there that have overcome this problem. What's the best way to get this goop back to a workable form?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: My Rod Bond is Gelled
Posted by: Raymond Mazza (---.syr.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 27, 2004 07:58PM

This topic has been covered with lots of options for care. For now, just warm some water and place the containers in the warm water and then stir. Do a search and you'll find lots more.
Ray

It's supposed to be that way
Posted by: Mike Ballard (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: November 27, 2004 08:03PM

Rod Bond is supposed to be a gel, not a liquid. When it turns to liquid you're in trouble. It should be about the thickness of vaseline or just slightly thicker.

Dob or dab out roughly equal amounts onto some cardboard and then blend and fold until you have a uniform color. At that stage its ready for use.

Posted by: William Mitchell (---.atl.client2.attbi.com)
Date: November 27, 2004 08:11PM

I use the larger syringes sold by some component suppliers (I think mine came from Cabela's). Pull the plunger out and use a popsickle stick or similar to fill the syringe. Re-insert the plunger and you're good to go.

Posted by: Capt Neil Faulkner (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 27, 2004 08:15PM

Hi Fran,

I use a set of aluminun measuring spoons. I think I made my wife's kitchen set disappear when I needed them. Yes, I did get her another set.

Very easy to measure and I clean the spoons off each time with 91% iso alcohol and paper towels.

Capt Neil

Posted by: John Dow (---.60.169.68.adsl.snet.net)
Date: November 27, 2004 08:21PM

Fran , I use plastic measureing spoons , the kind you use for cooking . Dip in the container , scoop some up and level using the lip of the jar..........close enough. The Rod Bond is gell to prevent it from running all over when you get everything in its place. I've used the others with good results as far as bonding , but the Rod Bond stays put , and dosen't migrate as some of the others do. Measurements don't have to be as exact as in the finish epoxies do , so close is good enough with this stuff.
Have fun, John

Posted by: levi farster (---.essex1.com)
Date: November 27, 2004 08:47PM

I use a size "really big" syringe. I think veterinarians (thats where I get mine) use them to inject peanut butter or something similar in horses and cattle. I have never used rod bond, I use commercially available epoxies. Like from the hardware store. So far so good. Talk to your local vet, convince them you do not have some sort of horrifyingly out of control drug habit, and maybe you can barter some. Good luck.

Posted by: Raymond Mazza (---.syr.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 27, 2004 09:07PM

Fran,
I was assuming you meant that it had hardened or crystalized. My error for not questioning what you meant!! I apologize. The guys are correct, it is a gel. It is easier to work with than you might have thought. The trick I mentioned will work to soften the parts if they begin crystalize. I think you'll prefer Rod Bond thanks to it's charateristics. One nice thing is that a little can go a long way. i use spoons most of the time. I like to mix with a popsicle stick. Clean up is easy while soft, use alcohol on a paper towel to wipe up. The nicest thing in my opinion is that it was designed for rod building. You can't beat that! Not to mention, the folks at Trondak are great people.
Ray

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: November 27, 2004 09:13PM

I use a2 popsicle/craft sticks. One for each part and just scoop out a fairly close amount of each. Just eyeball it. Precise measurements are not necessary. Craft sticks are about a penny or two, so I just pitch them

Mike

Posted by: Stan Gregory (---.mynetrocks.com)
Date: November 27, 2004 11:58PM

Mike is right-on. Just eye-ball the volume using a wooden popcicle stick or tongue blade.

I mix it with a palette knife, over whatever is at hand (old cut-up file folders usually). It's forgiving, and not like finish epoxies which require a bit of accuracy in measuring. Doubt if you'll have any curing problems. It's very good stuff.

Stan

Posted by: John Butterfield (---.adsl.gulftel.net)
Date: November 28, 2004 08:00AM

I don't use Rod Bond, but Classic Reel Seat Epoxy, which are probably about the same. I use spoons and scoop it out with tongue depressors which fit the contour of the spoons. Then I mix it with a depressor w/ the end cut straight in a small dish. Works great. John Butterfield

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.152.54.214.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: November 28, 2004 09:02AM

Rod Bond is the only epoxy that was specifically formulated for use on fishing rods. There are many other epoxies that also work extremely well for the purpose, but no others that were designed with the express intent of being used for the assembly of custom fishing rods. I've not used the Classic Reel Seat Epoxy, and Kardol is at least somewhat similar, but there is really nothing along the exact same lines as the Rod Bond. It's somewhat unique.

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.clis.com)
Date: November 28, 2004 10:53AM

As stated above Rod Bond is manufactured as, and intended to stay, a gel. Both parts are like thick jelly as most non-flowing epoxies are.

Mike & Stan are exactly correct. There is absolutely no need for the use of syringes or measuring spoons when using Rod Bond. I simply scoop some out with a popsickle stick (a separate stick for each container). Just plop the stuff down in small piles on your choice of mixing palatte (cardboard works fine). When it looks like you have equal parts start mixing with one of the popsickle sticks. Easiest stuff ever to use.

Your Rod Bond didn't turn to jelly...it came that way.

Jay

Date: November 28, 2004 11:39AM

I have never seen Rod Bond but it sure sounds the same as Classic Reel Seat Epoxy which is a gell. Both parts are white, but you mix 2 parts of one and 1 of the other. Do any others use Classic? John Butterfield

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.152.57.224.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: November 28, 2004 11:44AM

Rod Bond is not white and has a 1 to 1 mix ratio (60:40 will still work though - it was designed to allow for some inaccuracy in measuring due to it's thick nature). It was formulated by Ralph O'Quinn and mixed in the Trondak plant. No one else has it and they do not make it for anyone else.

Not that other epoxies aren't good - they certainly are, but Rod Bond was in fact, designed by a rod builder for rod building.

Posted by: Jesse Buky (---.exis.net)
Date: November 28, 2004 02:06PM

Kardol is good stuff, I use 7 or 8 gallons a year and have never had any problems. Jesse

Date: November 28, 2004 02:11PM

PC-7 is another paste type that is good. I use it for gaff hooks on heavy blanks and none have come off yet. John Butterfield

Posted by: Fran Park (---.atlaga.adelphia.net)
Date: November 28, 2004 03:54PM

thanks to all the responders. I am typing this with one hand, since my other hand is holding reel seat glued to a blank with my Rod bond...gel. If this sets up as you say, I will be a convert for life. I like the no mess quality, no drips.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.152.54.137.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: November 28, 2004 04:30PM

Thinner than the thick paste type epoxies and yet thicker than the liquid types, Rod Bond was designed expressly so that it would stay where you put it, yet retain the lubricious quality you need when sliding parts, such as EVA grips, together or onto a rod blank. I'm probably guilty of not using it as often as I should.

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.clis.com)
Date: November 28, 2004 06:42PM

Fran,

Rod Bond isn't a quick-set epoxy. I hope you're not planning on holding that reel seat until it sets!

I mostly use Rod Bond, but since we seem to be chiming in about other non-flowing epoxies I'll add another. I also use Metal Set A-4 epoxy when I feel I need a stronger bond than Rod Bond will give me. Jay

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster