I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Choosing correct guides?
Posted by: Spencer Bass (---.tampabay.rr.com)
Date: November 27, 2004 12:08PM

I think I I have asked this before and the reason for asking it again is I cannot seem to grasp the concept.

I am building a rod for my Brother-in -Law for Xmas. I do not know which reel my sister will purchase for the rod.

With that being said how do I:

Know what size guides to buy? It is a 7 foot graphite rod he will use for Bass fishing.

Thanks

Spencer

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Choosing correct guides?
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.lsil.com)
Date: November 27, 2004 12:21PM

Spence,
In that case I use Rich Forhan's equal distance formulas. The ones he has listed I've seen are for are for light actioned finesse applications rods, but if you bump the sizes up by one they seems to work well also with size 4/4000 size reels also.
I can e-mail you the info if you like.

Posted by: Spencer Bass (---.tampabay.rr.com)
Date: November 27, 2004 12:28PM

Thanks Spencer

It would be good if you could email me info or if there is a place I can go to get it on the web.

Spencer

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.lsil.com)
Date: November 27, 2004 01:06PM

Will send it along as soon as I get home.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.152.57.184.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: November 27, 2004 02:49PM

I would think you at least know about what size reel will be used on the rod. In fact, you need to recommend the proper reel size to your sister, so that the reel she buys will match up nicely with the new rod.

On the online library page here, take a look at the New Guide Concept System if you're using a spinning reel. Set it up with something you have on hand that is roughly the same size as what you're going to recommend that she buy. If you're going with a baitcasting reel, then Rich's formula will do just fine.

Posted by: Kit Harrison (---.txucom.net)
Date: November 27, 2004 06:50PM

Spencer, you can ask your sister if she knows exactly what reel she will be buying for that particular rod, and hope she buys that reel. Or you can build a rod that can handle several different reels(weight). It would be nice to know or have the specific reel when you start to build the rod. As for guides start with a 12, 10-10-8-8-8 and tip size 8. This is for the 7' rod. If you know what he uses the rod for (flipping, pitching, crankbait, carolina or what ever, that would help also.

Posted by: levi farster (---.essex1.com)
Date: November 27, 2004 09:04PM

I just got a Mud Hole catalog, and it has some probably very broad recomendations in the front, in a little mini rod building section. You gotta know if the guides go on tob or bottom, at least. I would buy the reel, for bass maybe a Cabo pt, or even better, then demand payment from my sister immediatly! LOL

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster