I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Shipping rods-cheapest carrier?
Posted by: Jim Kastorff (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 27, 2004 11:10AM

Anybody know who is the cheapest carrier to ship longer rods such as a 7' rod in a pcv tube? My local UPS store is quoting me $40 or $36 if I take it to the UPS main depot which would cost me more than $4 in gas.
Several @#$%& stores quote much lower UPS prices for similar lenghts, do they get wholesale rates?
thx

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Shipping rods-cheapest carrier?
Posted by: Erik Kunz (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: November 27, 2004 11:29AM

I use US Postal Service for all of my rods up to 7-feet or so.

If you go to their website (www.usps.com) and calculate postage, it is very clear what constitutes a "Large Package" or a "very large package". A 7-foot rod usually costs me around 25 bucks to ship (give or take the costs of options like insurance and tracking)

For longer rods like 9-foot or 11-foot one-piece rods, DHL seems to have the least expensive rates but you have to have an account set up with them. My supplier has shipped me 11-foot blanks by DHL at a cost of $25.

I always find UPS to quote lower prices on their website than what they calculate at the shipping location. I can't figure it out but have learned to just accept it.

Posted by: Jeff Schwartz (---.235.84.90.Dial1.Orlando1.Level3.net)
Date: November 27, 2004 01:10PM

FEDX isn't bad. They're home delivery costs about $20 for less than 7'. They go by an overall dimension and the zip the package is going to. The cost to ship a tube 97" X 5" X 5" which is considered oversize is $32. Drop down the length by about a foot, width, and height by an inch and you're in the normal range. You can find this out on their website. You can register which doesn't cost you anything and never use their service. I'm sure UPS and DHL do the same. That would make it easy to compare costs by doing a little on line surfing.
Jeff Schwartz

Posted by: John Butterfield (---.adsl.gulftel.net)
Date: November 27, 2004 02:35PM

I just loooked at a shipping tube, I received several 7' blanks in. It cost my supplier $16.85 from US Postal. I have shipped several and don't recall it being over $20. John Butterfield

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.57.93.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: November 27, 2004 02:41PM

Try looking for " drain pipe " It is a thinner pipe and will cut the cost of the shipping. Pack well around the rod Home depot caries them 4" ID

Posted by: Kit Harrison (---.txucom.net)
Date: November 27, 2004 06:59PM

I am paying $11.50 at the Post Office to send those same size packs, UPS wants $28.00

Posted by: Chris Newberg (---.231.250.15.gha.mi.chartermi.net)
Date: November 27, 2004 08:43PM

I use USPS most of the time. They are cheaper and, for me, easier. You would think that by paying more, you would be gaurenteed less accidents and more on-time shipping. Not so. I've had just as many accidents with UPS as with USPS. Just get insurace and you'll be good either way.

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.nas3.saint-louis1.mo.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: November 28, 2004 09:35AM

Jim,
Try asking them for standard shipping. Sounds like they are charging you an overnight or two day charge. I always use UPS and for an overnight it is about 40 bucks. But for standard shipping (4 to 5 days) I've never paid more than about $15 using standard PVC.

Posted by: Jim Kastorff (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 28, 2004 11:53AM

They told me that the fact that I wanted to ship a 7' rod is what got me into oversize costs. For ex, a 6' rod was far less than the 7'.

Posted by: Clint Paulette (---.neo.rr.com)
Date: November 28, 2004 12:16PM

I always use the US Post Office Priority Mail. Here at my local post office I know the postmaster well and here is the breakdowns on shipping. The total length AND diameter of a PVC tube must be under 84 inches to be undersized. Generally this means a 6'6" rod. They usually ship for about $15.00, if over the 84" designation, you get jumped up to the "balloon" charge which automatically puts you at a 15 pound minimum shipping charge. I'm in Ohio and the most cost for a rod over 7 foot is to CA and it costs about $30.00. My local USP shipping center wants about $50.00 for any rod I've taken there. Even for shipping in Ohio.

Clint

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.nas3.saint-louis1.mo.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: November 28, 2004 02:01PM

Oh yeah.
I forgot about the automatic $20 for a 7'. I hardly ever build anything longer than 6' so it didn't come to mind.

Posted by: John Butterfield (---.adsl.gulftel.net)
Date: November 28, 2004 02:04PM

I just checked the tube I got 7' blanks in again and it is 90" long w/ 11" dia. It was shipped from MN to AL, Priority Mail for $16.85. Their shipping charge is $12 for blanks under 6' and $19 for 6' - 7 1/2'. ???? John Butterfield

Posted by: Mike Applebee (---.webcelerate.com)
Date: November 28, 2004 08:23PM

I work for a company that is competition to all these companies listed above. We service the midwest. Namely, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa, the Dakotas, and parts of Illinois and Nebraska. I will not mention our name as I don't want to seem like I am advertising for my company.
Anyway, we do not charge any oversize charges on any package until the length + girth is over 130 inches. This means that up to 10 foot rods can be shipped for usually under 10 bucks. Our maximum length on packages is 10 feet, by the way.
The only drawback is that we only cover these few states. But if we are in your area, a lot of money can be saved. I can ship stuff to and from St. Croix cheaper than ever.

Posted by: Art Parramoure (---.159.20.194.Dial1.Chicago1.Level3.net)
Date: November 29, 2004 08:40AM

Usually they up charge around $15.00 for the "oversized" carton. (UPS) I'd go with the USPS.

Art

Posted by: Tom S. Brown (---.olypen.com)
Date: November 29, 2004 09:43AM

Hi Jim,

Try shipping it by UPS 3-Day, on blanks over 6 feet it costs about half as much or less then shipping them ground.

UPS charges you an oversize charge (30 lb. rate) for blanks over 6 feet, but when you send it 3-Day they calculate the dimensional weight.

Tom S. Brown
Pacific Bay International

Posted by: Mike Nolan (---.iad.untd.com)
Date: November 30, 2004 07:57PM

One good thing about US postal service is you're less likely to have mail employees tamper with your rods because it is a federal offense for them to do so.....that's not the case at UPS and others. I've had a several problems with UPS.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster