I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

International Markets?
Posted by: Wylie Wiggins (---.lax.untd.com)
Date: November 27, 2004 09:15AM

Hi all,
Even though I am not building at this time, I do hope to be again soon as I do get emails asking about the rods I build often.
In the time that I have been building fishing rods I have gathered emails from all over the world but have not entertained the option of international shipping as getting a fishing rod across the states alone is sometimes a bit of a trick without breakage.
Have many of you shipped outside the United States?
How heavy is the expense to other continents when shipping?
Is insurance an option when shipping to other countries or a waste of time?
Who would be the best couriors for international shipping?

Thanks for any information that can be supplied,
Wylie

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: International Markets?
Posted by: Ken Preston (---.longhl01.md.comcast.net)
Date: November 27, 2004 01:57PM

Wylie
I've had good success with DHL for international shipping. I believe they are the most reasonable company out there now for international. I'm also lucky enough to have a DHL shipping center about 5 miles away (as well as UPS and FedEx). Expense climbs as the number of days decreases - as you would expect. Strangely I've had the longest delays in shipping to Canada - longer than to Europe and longer than to Japan or Australia. I think that's because if you designate "slow boat" to Canada they put it on a truck (after there is enough stuff going that direction but with sending to Europe or the Far East there are so many international air freight carriers they simply put them on -- as long as the lenght or weight aren't excessive.

Ken

Posted by: Myles Boon (202.138.16.---)
Date: November 27, 2004 05:51PM

Wylie,

As I live in Australia and buy all my stuff from the States as it is still cheaper than buying the guides etc etc here. I have used USPS for all multi piece blanks sections up to 40inchs, and have never had a problem even with the badly packed blanks. Now one piece blanks up to say 8' Fedex seems to be the most helpful and cheapest, havn't shipped with them yet as to warrant that much freight costs for one blank as it seems no more expensive to ship 10 blanks. Give Fedex an email they seemed to bend over backwards to help me and still answer my questions for quotes even though I havn't used them yet.
If I was sending a completed rod, I would send it in one of those pre made travel rod tubes with plently of bubble wrap.

Myles
Brisbane, Australia

Posted by: Andy Dear (---.dsl.snantx.swbell.net)
Date: November 27, 2004 09:42PM

I have used USPS to ship to no less than 11 different countries in the past year....with only 1 glitch. The rates are great, the paperwork is minimal, and the service seems to be very good.

Andy Dear
Lamar Reel Seats
www.lamarreelseats.com

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 28, 2004 09:43AM

I know there are Import duties on merchandise over $xxx coming from out of the US - are there also Export duties? Something to keep in mind as from wha tI've heard if they happen to hit you with teh Import duty there is nothing you can do excpet pay it, and it ain't cheap...from what I've heard.

Posted by: Wylie Wiggins (---.lax.untd.com)
Date: November 28, 2004 12:50PM

Thanks folks,
Wow that's odd the U.S.P.S. has broke more rods than any mail service I have used.
Insurance and then Tarrif, oh boy sounds like a bunch of time and money to me that the customers may have bare the weight of. I sure hope they want a bunch of them!

Thanks again,
Wylie

Posted by: Neil Ferguson (---.ss.shawcable.net)
Date: November 30, 2004 10:29PM

Hi Wylie
I live in Canada and order a lot of things from the US. USPS doesn't do too well with long items that look solid ( an aluminum rod case is in more danger than a pvc tube ). Still the best, most cost effective method. Please avoid using UPS for shipping to Canada, they must be a much better company in the US than they are here ( their brokerage charges are very high, and service ( in my experince ) is poor ).
Regards
Neil

Posted by: Daniel Rotea (---.58.50.173.proxycache.rima-tde.net)
Date: December 25, 2004 05:31PM

I've just ordered some kits at MudHole. I live in Spain. I'll told you how much freight cost when I'll get it. I placed order on 22nd. Do you know how long it takes for they to send it?.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster