I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fuji LC guides
Posted by: Felix Cartagena (---.rasserver.net)
Date: March 04, 2002 10:39AM

Just about ready to start my surf casting rod, do appreciate the info and suggestions that I have attained form here (thanks!) but I do have several questions. I have purchased most of my components excpet the guides, I am excited to go ahead with the Fuji LC surf guides, but would like to know if they truly will make a difference, I have been surf fishing for a long time have several rods from manufacturers, St. Croix, Loomis and sad to say a Sakespear Ugly stick. I can toss a tin, plug or bait a good distance (of course would love to add an extra 50 feet or more).

Do the LC guides really work? Whats the theory behind its concept? I have seen the schematics in guide placement and they use longer rods than I have (mine will be an 11 footer) does the size matter?LOL last but not least, I have used the gude placement method that was published in Rodmaker (Equal Guide Placement) and the taper of my rod suggest a different amount of guides that Fuji suggest, which way do I go?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fuji LC guides
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialsprint.net)
Date: March 04, 2002 11:29AM

The spacing and guide number Fuji recommends is generic - they do not have your particular rod in hand and cannot possibly give you the correct number.

The EA system takes into account your particular blank and therefore optimizes the placement and number of guides to use on it.

I have not used the LC guides and can't really comment on them.

Posted by: Dorge Huang (---.il.sprintbbd.net)
Date: March 05, 2002 02:55AM

As I recall last time you post, you rod is going to be a spinning reel surf rod. First, the LC guide is whole different bread of surf guide concept. It is made specially for braid and large spinning reel spool. Just say if you have a Daiwa Emblem 5500Z and spool it with 0.35mm mono and and other spool with 30lb powerpro. And you also use the 15m tapered braid leader of Japanese #6 GSP shock. Which should give you about 100lb shock leader. With basic, not major fancy, 3/4 turn over head cast with a 3.5 oz or 100g Sinker/castmaster. With a rod of 3.6M you should easily achieve 100M with mono and 130M with braid. We are talking conoflex blank, or Zziplex blank. With Loomis/st croix, you need to minus 15% on distance due to its slower tip action (Those rod are design for casting reel, not spinning). Then if you are talking Daiwa, Shimano, or Gamakatsu, because they only make 3.9, 4.2 and 4.5M blank, they would not be a good comparison. FYI, Shimano Kitsu Special with the LC guide, with Aero cast 9000EX on #2 GSP braid on 100g sinker on hands of the know have reached 310+M. Enough background.

One last thing, to understand LC guide you need to take a look at Guideless rod like Daiwa Interline, Shimano Innerguide series of surf rod, the reason LC was out for Daiwa Interline surf keep outcast the Guided ones in japanes competition. One look at guideless surf rod you would notice, the entry gudie is way up the blank. In the case of t he LC, first guide of the LC first have to either a 20 or 16 and it need to be at least set at 55% of the rod length. If you have 12 foot rod, the first guide should be at 6.5 to 7 ft mark from the butt. Or 1.2M from the reel. The LC guide is all tuned for casting, not retrieval. If you use lure exclusively, you should lower the guide a little. The idea is that as the line get off the spool, it need to be fully relaxed to reached the choke guide. Which if you think of the standard new concept, it is indeed the choke guide and the use of a bigger guides are all but elimiated. In case of a 12 ft American style surf blank, you need a total of 6 guides. 1*20, 1*16, 1*12, 1*10, 2*8 and a 10 top.

Last, with new rider, the reel is the key, if you use a reel like Penn, and you also use mono, it is better off not using LC for your distance will suffer, the MNSG may be a better choice. For more info go the florida surf board, [floridasurffishing.com]? and do a search, there are plenty of discussion of how LC guide works. And you will also learn how world record roster fish chaser Sergio use his Conoflex reach 200+yard with 3oz lure with daiwa Emblem and Conoflex rods.

Hope this get you started the right foot.

Good fishing (catching) <*)))))))><

Posted by: Felix Cartagena (198.211.71.---)
Date: March 05, 2002 10:20AM

Wow!!! now that was super informative. Need to print it out and obsorb the wealth of knowledge. Thanks Dorge

PS
Have a choice of using Okuma MDS-60 or Mitchells NautilN7500PGV

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster