I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

OK guys, what's the trick?
Posted by: Jeff Brinn (---.twave.net)
Date: March 04, 2002 01:48AM

Trying to mark a rod. Using a gold metalic gel-pen, I tried it on tape, I tried transfering it to the adhesive side of the tape, heck I even tried writing directly on the blank (which looks great) and the ink won't dry. What's the secret?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: OK guys, what's the trick?
Posted by: David Henney (---.dsl.wchtks.swbell.net)
Date: March 04, 2002 03:01AM

Thats the same problem I had with Gel Pens and I spent about 20.00 in different pens and I had no luck.. Thanks Dave's Rods

Posted by: Jim Winning (---.ne.mediaone.net)
Date: March 04, 2002 07:10AM

I have had pretty good luck with Pentel Hybrid Gel Roller pens. I scuff the finish before doing the signature. I also wait at least 3 days before covering with finish. Careful when you apply the finish - make sure the brush is well loaded and don't drag across the signature. I also tried covering the signature with CP and it really smeared the ink, so I now I just let it dry for a few days before finishing. My wife just recently picked up a Zebra Jimnie Gel pen and it worked great - good ink flow and absolutely no smearing. She has great handwriting and does all my signatures. Most people really like their rods hand signed - more of a custom look.

Posted by: John Chaney (---.dsl.kscymo.swbell.net)
Date: March 04, 2002 09:32AM

I spent a week buying different pens and had the same problem you all did. I went to an art supply store and found a tactical pen, they come in different tip sizes. I use the .025 & .050 tips. There is a product called Dr. Ph. Martin's Pen White. It works great, good flow. The only problem is that it only comes in white. After marking my rod I tape off and put Crystal Clear Enamel over the ink, I only wait 30 min. or so. Then you can put the epoxy on the rod and it won't smear, chip or bleed and you can't see the enamel or any underlying marks.
John

Posted by: Steve Bohrer (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: March 04, 2002 10:07AM

The best thjing I have found is alkalyd ink, over spray with clear Krylon.

gold leaf!
Posted by: DaveB (Dave Barrett) (---.as.wcom.net)
Date: March 04, 2002 10:15PM

Go to a atr supply/stationary store and for about $5 you can get a box of gold leaf strips for marking book bindings. Tape the strip to the blank, write directly onto the strip, and then peel the strip away and PRESTO! The signature, rod specks or whatever on the rod in gold leaf! If you don't like the way it comes out just scrape it off with your finger nail and try again. If you like it then you can immediately cover it with finish. It won't run or smuge either.

One real neat trick is to have your customer sign a piece of paper. Then tape the paper over the gold strip. Trace over the writing to put your customer's own signature onto the rod.

DaveB

Re: gold leaf!
Posted by: Kevin Malpass (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 04, 2002 10:23PM

That sounds like a heckuva idea and I am going to buy some tomorrow and try it out! Thanks.

Posted by: Dick Thurston (---.midtn.chartertn.net)
Date: March 04, 2002 10:48PM

I've practiced quite a bit with gold leaf ink and a dip type lettering pen. Lots of tribulation in the learning curve but now I do all my inscribing by this method. Really looks great if you have good penmanship. Works much better when writing in cursive than with trying to print individual letters- -just flows better --no light & heavy spots.

Posted by: Elrod (Jon Jenkins) (65.212.56.---)
Date: March 05, 2002 12:44PM

I have had good luck with Gellyz. All sorts of metallic colors. I used a rose metallic to match some thread colors. Looks great. I let dry 30 minutes before applying LS Supreme. No smears or smudges. I am interested in the gold foil thing. May try it myself. Do they make the gold foil stuff in silver (would they call it silver gold foil! HEHEHE!). Just curious as most of my inscriptions are done in silver.
Elrod

0.8mm!
Posted by: Alberto Bolan (---.cordoba.sinectis.com.ar)
Date: March 08, 2002 08:46PM

There are some 0.8 tip pens Gold/Plated ink, also to THIN your line can use INK, and a feather pen, but it is a WORK!

I got some
Posted by: Jeff Brinn (---.twave.net)
Date: March 09, 2002 01:20AM

of that gold leaf stuff DaveB suggested, works like a charm. Also picked up a gold paint pen, works good but need to find a thinner tip. Thanks for all the info guys!! :~)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster