I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Advantages of Spiral rods?
Posted by: Randie Putnal (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 04, 2002 01:42AM

I know this subject has been beaten to death but how will a spiral rod put more fish in my boat vs a straight conventional guided rod? I understand the torque aspects of a sprial rod other than that can it make a difference in catching or losing a fish. I think that is what really matters. Thoughts?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Advantages of Spiral rods?
Posted by: Sang An (---.ff.cox.rr.com)
Date: March 04, 2002 01:55AM

Well, it'll keep your rod from fatigueing to an early death due. No torque in the critical tip section. On heavier saltwater rigs, less strain on your forearms from trying to keep a top heavy setup right side up.

I don't understand why anyone would do it differently.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialsprint.net)
Date: March 04, 2002 09:15AM

"Will it put more fish in my boat?" No, just as a custom rod won't put more fish in your boat compared to a $19.95 WalMart rod. How many fish you put in the boat would seem to rely more on your skill as a fisherman.

I remember many years ago when someone asked Randall Kaufman if it was really necessary to have a $400 fly rod. They wanted to know if they could get by with "something less". Randall told them that "You can get by with a broomstick with a few guides taped on it, although there will be some drawbacks."

That's the way I like to look at tackle. Plenty of fish, and some very big ones, are caught on some very poor tackle. Thus, it is not absolutely necessary to have the best just to catch some fish. But, it sure is nice to fish with equipment that doesn't fight you or let you down. Good tackle and a well designed and built custom rod makes the entire experience more pleasant.

Posted by: Rich Garbowski (---.voyageur.ca)
Date: March 04, 2002 10:18AM

Randie,
The main advantage of a properly wrapped spiral wrap, if it can be summed up in one word is 'Stability'.
Also, it CAN be an advantage if fish handling as an advantage talked about is the stability and performance used for fighting fish, reducing fatigue,etc. If these perfomance advantages tally up to something that can be easier for an angler for rod handling, then I suppose overall it could help in losing fewer hooked fish. There is just so much more to putting fish in the boat than just relying on one aspect of your equipment. Also, to a particular fishing situation or species a lot depends on blank choice to begin with that the spiral wrap will be incorporated with. Rod length, good line, hook or lure selection, proper technique in hooksetting all has just as much to do with putting more fish in the boat.
Tournament fishermen worry about losing fish, especially that one that 'matters'. Will the spiral wrap and the idea of the rod handling better than a conventional baitcaster make a difference?? I have heard them tell me it does. In that sense it puts more fish in their boat.

The spiral wrap is more convincing for all the things mentioned previously about spiral wrap, and seems new advnatages are mentioned all the time with various modifications to the technique.
If losing less fish is another advantage that convinces some, then chalk that up as another reason to build a spiral wrap rod.

Rich
Solyrich Custom Rods

Posted by: John Kuebler (---.tnt1.tucson.az.da.uu.net)
Date: March 04, 2002 11:41AM

Will putting a half wrap around a fishing rod have a simalar effect of putting a half wrap around a pulley when lifting a load?

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialsprint.net)
Date: March 04, 2002 12:42PM

No, the spiral wrap offers no mechanical advantage. If that is what you are referring to as a "half wrap". I don't thing it's quite the same as what you can do with a pulley system where you halve the load, but double the length of line that must be recoved.

Posted by: Sang An (---.east.saic.com)
Date: March 04, 2002 03:36PM

Please excuse my first semi-literate response . It was late.

I fished my spiral wrapped rods during 3 days of tuna fishing last year from San Diego. These were mostly sub 30# albacore, though a 40# YFT and BFT were also landed. That's something like 30 tuna in 3 days on an all graphite GUSA SW70MH with 25# line. Not a huge challenge, but my arms were significantly less tired than my previous experience with a conventionally wrapped Seeker Blacksteel, pulling on fewer smaller fish.

If fatigue on multiday trips is an issue, then I'd have to say that in this instance, the spiral wrap let me land more fish.

Posted by: Ron Schneider (---.cox-internet.com)
Date: March 04, 2002 06:48PM

There is another advantage, when using light line on big fish, the "Turnover" wrap is easier on the line and keeps it from touching the rod blank, which tends to make for heat buildup causing weak spots in the line.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster