I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

CyanoAcrylate Glue as a Wood Finish
Posted by: Christian Brink (---.dsl.aracnet.com)
Date: November 23, 2004 10:35PM

Dave asked me about using CA as a wood finish so I thought I'd share my technique with everyone.

Superglue brand glue is thin CA and is not the best for a wood finish. Most woodworking (not home improvement) stores will have CA in 3 grades thin, medium, and thick. Thick CA fills gaps the best and takes 1-2 minutes to setup. Thin sets up quick (5-10 seconds) and does not fill gaps as well. Medium is right in the middle and takes about 30-60 seconds for setup. Also the thicker it is put on the the longer it takes to dry. I personally use Medium, but thick works also. If it doesn't state thin, medium, or thick - it's thin.

Pros:
Will work on oily woods
Polishs to a bright shine
Very quick to apply and quick to setup compared to other wood finishes
Fairly safe compared to other wood finishes (in fact it's used in place of sutures for cuts)

Cons:
Smell (you can pick up odorless CA, it's harder to find and more expensive)
Expensive compared to other wood finishes. (but not too bad)
Builds high and has that plastic look that some people do not care for. You can use less coats for less of the plastic look.
Requires some method of polishing.

I turn the exposed portion of the insert about a 1/16" short of where I want it to be.

I spin the insert on my lathe at about 500 RPM. Then I put a good amount on my finger. I apply the CA to the insert, trying to keep the coat as even as possible. Usually it takes 2 applications to cover the exposed portion of the insert. I let it spin for about 5 minutes until it's dry.

Then get a sanding block with some 220 and lightly sand it flat. continue to 600. Be careful not to sand through the layer or it'll show and, you'll have to sand it down and restart.

repeat 2-4 times until you get the depth you want.

Then either buff it or I prefer to use the Micro-Mesh cloth backed sandpaper that goes from 1500 to 12000 grit for the final polish.

You can peel the CA right off your finger when you're done.

Micro-Mesh and Medium CA are both available from www.woodcraft.com.

Safety:
Read the safety info on the bottle. Wear eye protection (and if you wear glasses wear protection over your glasses or you'll wind up with little spots of CA you can't get off :)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: CyanoAcrylate Glue as a Wood Finish
Posted by: Andy Dear (---.dsl.snantx.swbell.net)
Date: November 23, 2004 10:46PM

Thats good info. Christian. I have been using CA glue for various woodworking operations since I started building electric guitars in the mid 1980's. Hot Stuff by Sattelite City is the brand all of the Luthiers use...it's a very high quality CA glue, and the only one I'll use for reelseat work.

Andy Dear
Lamar Reel Seats

Posted by: Eden Bromfield (---.dialup.sprint-canada.net)
Date: November 23, 2004 11:32PM

Thin CA glue has been used as a wood finish by pro pool cue makers for a long time.
The odourless CA glue is definitely the way to go and is available from most pool cue parts suppliers.
Eden

Posted by: Christian Brink (---.dsl.aracnet.com)
Date: November 24, 2004 12:23AM

Eden -
I have never heard of thin CA being used. I would guess that it would be difficult because it sets so quickly. Do they use a different technique?

Andy -
Hot Stuff is the same brand I use. I really like it, but I have never tried anything else.

Christian

Date: November 24, 2004 03:10AM

Christian,
You can find details for finishing cues with thin CA, regular CA , odourless CA as well as epoxy here: [cuecomponents.com]
Eden

Date: November 24, 2004 03:41AM

"Regular CA" in my last post is an error and should be ignored!
Eden

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.longhl01.md.comcast.net)
Date: November 24, 2004 04:51AM

I LOVE this place ... fishing rods, wood finishing, guitars, pool cues what an amazing depth of knowledge and talent is found here daily. I think I've overfilled my browser on NetScape!

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.152.54.52.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: November 24, 2004 08:59AM

The CA adhesive is also quite good for filling large cracks or voids, regardless of what finish you eventually use.

Posted by: Andy Dear (---.dsl.snantx.swbell.net)
Date: November 24, 2004 10:06AM

Gee Tom....thnaks for the lead in for a shameless plug for my new DVD.

"For more information on how to use CA glue to fill cracks/voids/fissures in a reel seat, take a look at my new DVD "The Wood Lathe in Rodbuilding"

Andy Dear
Lamar Reel Seats

Posted by: Scott Olex (198.133.100.---)
Date: November 24, 2004 10:30AM

I also get my CA from [cuecomponents.com]. I like the thin oderless. It works great as a filler and buffs right up with stabilized wood.

Posted by: Joe Arvay (---.bay.webtv.net)
Date: November 25, 2004 03:13PM

Perhaps a silly question as I haven't yet done the research, but is the oderless CA glue REALLY a good thing? Obviously, it's a bit more comfortable to use on the eyes and nose, it's the "smell warning" that I'm curious about. I kinda like the ability to know when I'm inhaling/exposed to various solvents and other potential nasties that way I can avoid it or modify my work habits. Is the oderless still a potential health risk?

I use alot of CA for fly & jig tying and it works great, best head cement around IMHO. However, when the eyes start to burn, that tells me I'm a bit too close to my work and it's time to lean back or do it near a fan or breeze. Can't say it's dangerous, I don't know, but it just doesn't seem like it would be a good thing not to know where the fumes are. Kinda like oderless propane or other gases.

If anyone sees this and has some info, I'd appreciate input as I have considered the oderless versions, but the implications scared me off a bit.

BTW, great info above, never really considered using CA on wood as a finish...thanx.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster