I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

An acknowledgement & apologies
Posted by: David A. Fuller (---.NIPR.MIL)
Date: November 23, 2004 01:38PM

Several months ago I emailed several of you plans for an inexpensive rod wrapper, one of which I've used. Those plans were sent to me by a friend. He stated when he emailed the plans that he couldn't remember where he got them, the authors name was not included in salutation or body of the work. So I happily made up a rod wrapper according to the plans and have been merrily wrapping rods with the same unit I made out of oak.
I saved the emailed plan my friend sent to me and have passed the rod wrapper plans on to several, approx 20 of you, out there in rod wrapping land. In a weird twist of fate, I also e-mailed the self same plans to T.K. for possible inclusion in future articles in RodMaker. T.K. being the fine sleuth that he is, especially where articles for the magazine have to be planned very carefully, found out the author of those fine rod wrapper plans. The author is one Greg Penell and the plans, at least upto last month can be found on "www.steelheader.com or net" .
So, my point, I did not and have not intended to be the author of those terrific rod wrapper plans. And a BIG THANKS to Tom Kirkman for finding the original author. Tight lines for everyone!
David A. Fuller
Great Basin Fishing Rods

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: An acknowledgement & apologies
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.152.54.72.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: November 23, 2004 01:42PM

Actually, you should thank Cliff Hall (I think) who found the plans and the orginal author on the website you mention.

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: November 23, 2004 03:13PM

Yes, indeed, gentleman, I am he who happened by sheer Providence to notice the dual authorship of the article for this fine Manual Rod Wrapping Jig. Between my Bible studies and my Pharmacy College professors and my days of method development as a benchtop chemist, I learned the value (and the necessity!) of including "chapter & verse" in my notes, and citing the authorship of my references for the points of my arguments. (And it also helped with trouble-shooting the kinds of problems that are inherent with method development. Which is actually what the bulk of our discussions here at RBO are about: design & methods.) And as a chemist, I had a fine boss who was like an uncle (an MD) who taught me to give credit where credit is due (WRF). He did, and it was contagious !

Thanks, Dave Fuller, for sharing this Jig with everybody. I'm glad to hear that the question of authorship was more of a mix-up than anything else.
A real big "HAPPY THANKSGIVING" to everybody. -Cliff Hall- Florida.

This is the Post which brought this to Tom Kirkman's attention:
"Fuller's or Pennell's Rod Jig? Cliff Hall 10-15-04 23:06
[www.rodbuilding.org]
The LIBRARY has design plans for a MANUAL rod wrapping jig:
"The Easy To Build Rod Wrapping Jig By Dave Fuller".
Essentially the same article and photographs are credited on another website to a GREG PENNELL. To whom is the credit due?
[www.steelheader.net].
No Replies were ever posted, but Tom did e-mail me off-line.

Duncan Watson made the referral as a Reply in the following Post-Thread
(in which I was also participating):
Affordable Wrapper?Anyone??
Author: Chris Santemma Date: 09-23-04 16:02

Re: Affordable Wrapper?Anyone??
Author: Duncan Watson Date: 09-23-04 16:50
[www.steelheader.net]

Posted by: David A. Fuller (---.NIPR.MIL)
Date: November 23, 2004 04:04PM

Yes, and thanks indeed to both of you !
As Cliff mentioned any error on my part was totally unintentional and done in the good naturedly act of helping another person out.

Now that I'm aware of the author I've included a statement of credit in the introductory body. That way, anyone else getting the plans will know the origin of the design. I just finished furnishing components and equipment to a rod building class of 10 people, all of them received copies of this design. In Feb, 10 more people will get copies of the design and so on and so forth.

Thanks so much guys,

David A. Fuller
Great Basin Fishing Rods
Reno, Nevada

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.152.54.166.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: November 23, 2004 04:34PM

Gerg was not upset and told me that he was just the plans were helping others out. All's well that ends well, I suppose.

Posted by: Tony Dowson (---.ok.shawcable.net)
Date: November 24, 2004 06:26AM

That's kind of funny as I have also been sending the link to the rod wrapper plans on the steelheader.net website to others for the past couple of years(ever since they were first posted there) and I too made my first wrapper based on them.

There use to be excellent detailed plans for building a double rod drier system on there as well,but the last time I looked they were no longer available,just the wrapper plans.The author also had plans on how to made PVC rod chucks for the driers(which he sent me via email) and I built my driers similar to these,only I made 2 single driers instead of one double(don't ask me why,LOL).

Posted by: Daren Howard (---.sbc.com)
Date: November 24, 2004 09:15AM

Interestingly, I found plans for a rod dryer on the site but not a link on the page to the plans. I may have just overlooked the link or it may be that the website administrator doesn't have it linked with the other rodbuilding items. Here is the address:

[www.steelheader.net]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster