I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Best CP for feather inlays
Posted by: Gerry Rhoades (---.unifield.com)
Date: November 23, 2004 12:59PM

I just got the back issue of Rodmaker that explained feather inlays and of course I had to experiment with a junk piece of blank and some relatively useless feathers. The article said to dilute CP with distilled water. The only CP I have is Gudebrod 811. The label says to dilute it with alcohol. I used distilled water and had some difficulty getting the feather to stick to the wrap.

What do you feather inlayers recommend?

Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Best CP for feather inlays
Posted by: Terry Henson (---.arcdca.adelphia.net)
Date: November 23, 2004 01:10PM

I use Permagloss. Works well and dries fast for multiple layers of feathers.

terry

Posted by: Bob Crook (---.178.171.117.Dial1.Seattle1.Level3.net)
Date: November 23, 2004 01:21PM

Following is an answer to a question I asked on another board last year and the answer I got from Bob Meiser... R.B. Meiser Rods a sponsor to the left. Check out his site!!!

Have been using his advice and my feather inlays have turned out great.

"Morning

Any of the acrylic based color perservatives will work very well.

The main reason why I like the Guderod is that it's clear as water, and when laying down the feathers in a weave it becomes rather importand that you can see the feathers.

Flex Coat is milky, and this makes the job a tad more difficult.

A compromise would be to dilute the Flex Coat with Isopropal....Say 50/50.....Even more.

I will do this with any of the CPs, as all are far to thick in consistancy out of the bottle for inlay work.

Actually "Bordens" standard white glue that is sold nearly everywhere is the same as Flex Coat CP, (a clear drying acrylic based adhesive) and will work just as well.

If you live near by my shop....Medford...I'd Be glad to give you a lesson !

Meiz "

Posted by: John lasky (---.com)
Date: November 23, 2004 01:38PM

hello Gerry,

I dont use Cp on feather inlays either.

I use permagloss or Gudebrod rod varnish , I find using acrylic base CP a waste of time and it can cloud things up if your not careful.

using varnish is easier and you get a crisper looking feather (IMHO).

When I first started doing inlays I was a nut case about using multible coats of CP Then some of the folks on this board told me to just use varnish and dont fuss too much.

they were right its a piece of cake. heres what I do

1) brush on some varnish in the inlay area

2) lay down your feather

3) while good and wet move feather into its proper place.

4) when dry apply another coat of varnish to fill in and around feather to get rid of any air in voids.

5) when dry again, apply epoxy , varnish , Permagloss ...

happy wraps "John"

Posted by: Mark Fisher (---.tnt1.broken-hill.au.da.uu.net)
Date: November 23, 2004 04:50PM

I use U40 Color Lock which has been watered down a little. Probably any of the water based CP's would be the same. I have been using a similar technique to John but for me I've found that laying the feather on the blank where you want it and then touching the CP loaded brush to the feather keeps the majority of the barbs in their original position. For me, I found that if you slide the feather around too much it clags together and is harder to position.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.57.46.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: November 24, 2004 09:43AM

Elmers wood glue thined with water works well also.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster