I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Micro-lathes
Posted by: Erik Johnson (---.telcomplus.net)
Date: November 23, 2004 08:37AM

I'm researching the possible purchase of a metal working micro-lathe to turn cork handles & inserts, and to make custom reel seat skeletons. I've looked at the Sherline, Micro-mark, Harbor Freight and Grizzly lines. Any opinions on these products or an alternative?
Thanks for any advice.
Erik

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Micro-lathes
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.152.57.180.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: November 23, 2004 09:18AM

The Taig lathe. Outstanding tool for not very much money. Very precise. Anglers Workshop sells this unit. The only drawback is going to be the short bed, which I think is only 10 or 11 inches between centers. Once you install a chuck and tailstock, I doubt you could turn grips, if you wanted it for that purpose.

I've turned dozens of reel seat skeletons, inserts, hosels, caps, etc., on mine. Great tool. The only one you mention that I would rate as highly is the Sherline. Also a great tool.

Posted by: Christian Brink (---.dsl.aracnet.com)
Date: November 23, 2004 01:01PM

The Taig is excellent but for making skeletons I think you'd be better off with the 7x10 HF or Grizzly because of their geared thread cutting capability. You might need to do some one time tweaking to get the precision right, but once that's done you'll be all set.

Their are several Internet sites dedicated to the HF and Grizzly 7x10 metal lathes, check them out. They go over any tweaking you would want to make on majority of 7x10 metal lathes.

Christian

Posted by: Steve Kartalia (---.ferc.gov)
Date: November 23, 2004 01:21PM

Are you guys telling me that there is an economical way to make my own reel seat skeletons? Oh man, I had hoped to regain a portion of my sanity in the coming year. Oh, well, maybe next year....

Posted by: bill mathis (208.33.107.---)
Date: November 23, 2004 02:23PM

go to www.minilathe.com for a review of all mini lathes i have the homier version www.homier.com i love it also check out back issues of powerfibers avail. on cd for info on making your own reel seats www.powerfibers.com. hope this helps

Posted by: Erik Johnson (---.telcomplus.net)
Date: November 25, 2004 07:37AM

Gentleman. Thank you for your replies. And Bill, I found the web site www.minilathe.com great for comparisons. Thanks again, Erik

Posted by: David Henney (---.ks.ok.cox.net)
Date: November 26, 2004 05:08PM

I have the Harbor Freight 7x10 and it's a good lathe but it's a big hassle drilling out inserts because the bed is to short.. I am now looking to get a bigger lathe.. Thanks Dave

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster