I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Spiral Convert
Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (66.252.177.---)
Date: November 23, 2004 07:49AM

The other day my 74 year old Dad took a head boat out the the Jersey Highlands for 3/4 day and fished for Black fish,ling and school cod with his favorite rod that I had rewrapped as a spiral.The summer of me fishing spirals got him interested and convinced that it does take some stress out of fighting fish.he couldnt wait to call and say that as he was driving the 45 minute trip home that his arms were not as tired as they usually were.He had a good haul of nice size fish and was also getting to the bottom with 8oz of lead.This convinced him and changed his thinking after a life time of fishing "conventional"rods.This is one area I hope the factory stays away from so that we as builders can offer something FAR superior not only in workmanship but in technology.
Today (Tuesday) he is heading out again to do it all over.He cant wait to show the rod to a fishing frien that he met on the boat years ago.Sounds like I hired a saleman.

Happy Thanksgiving

Fred

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Spiral Convert
Posted by: Larry Laurent (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: November 23, 2004 10:15PM

I have seen these rods, and am thinking about re wrapping one of my light casting rods this way. Will it make much difference in a light action rod? It seems like more guides are required to make the transition from top to bottom guides. Is this correct? How do you line up the guides to make the smoothest transition?

Thanks,
Larry

Re: Spiral Convert
Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (66.252.177.---)
Date: November 24, 2004 07:46AM

Larry,It will benefit the rod.The amount of guides may increase at the butt end but will most likely decrease on the critical tip end due to not having to keep the line off the blank.It is amazing the amount of enegry you save not having the rod try to twist with a fish on or even at the weight of a heavy sinker while bottom fishing.
Do a search of the board as this topic of guide placement was covered several times with several different ideas all having merit for specific applications.

Happy Thanksgiving,
Fred

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster