I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Finishing touches
Posted by: chad holton (---.dl.dl.cox.net)
Date: November 22, 2004 09:17PM

I am ready to put the finish on my rod. In the past I have used the normal flex-coat but seem to always get a little to much on the rod. This time I have bought the flex-coat lite formula to try. I went to there web site and looked at there tips and they recommend doing a primer coat in which they mix a little acetone into the first coat. Have any of you tried this and had good results.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Finishing touches
Posted by: larry pirrone (---.ontrca.adelphia.net)
Date: November 22, 2004 09:45PM

i did try this. i used denatured alcohol though. worked very well. i thinned it to a ratio of 1part alcohol/4 parts epoxy. no scientific reason for those proportions but it soaked the wraps very quickly and cured normally with no buildup. second coat was full strenght and
looked great. one thing though. the alcohol cooks off rather fast so you have to get the finish on quickly before it thickens. the alcohol may be safer to handle than the acetone.

Posted by: Ralph Jones (---.att.net)
Date: November 23, 2004 05:41AM

The acetone will "cook off" or evaporate faster than alcohol. Ralph

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.162.45.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: November 23, 2004 08:04AM

Use a " Mid- Temperature " lacquer thinner. It will slow down the set time You can get a pint at Home Depot

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 23, 2004 09:02AM

This thread could get on thin ice real quick. First 1 part in 4 is 25% by volume. This is not a small amount. It far exceeds the recommended dilution by Flexcoat with acetone for "first" coat applications. The thread implies that there are various options for "thinners" for thread coating two part resin systems. These finishes were designed specifcally for the application and "willy nilly" messing with the proportions places you at risk for a failure.

Gon Fishn

Date: November 23, 2004 09:26AM

I do about 10-20 " Drops " to a 3 CC of mix

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.152.57.180.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: November 23, 2004 09:50AM

Heed Bill Stevens advice here, and while Flex Coat mentions doing this, actual epoxy formulators will all tell you not to.

Date: November 23, 2004 11:09AM

I have been in contact with builders that have been doing this for " years" and have not had any problems! I guess that is why some blank companies thin there finish??

Posted by: Patrick Vernacchio (---.telalaska.com)
Date: November 23, 2004 12:19PM

I've considered thinning the finish as well and I was just wondering if it is better to mix the thnner before mixing the two parts or mixing it in after I have mixed the two parts in my usual thorough manner?
Thanks
Patrick Vernacchio

Posted by: Steve Kartalia (---.ferc.gov)
Date: November 23, 2004 01:15PM

If you prefer working with a lower-viscosity finish, why not just choose one of the many that are made that way right out of the package. It seems like finishes run the full spectrum from water to molasses so just pick what works best for you and use that. My 2 cents.

Posted by: Patrick Vernacchio (---.telalaska.com)
Date: November 23, 2004 04:20PM

Good point Steve. And you spent your 2 cents very well. However, I already use Flex Coat Lite and Klear-Coat Lite. I'd like it a little more thinner. I really like the low-build look, just a hair more than seeing or feeling each individual wrap. I make do on all jobs by wicking as much away as possible. I just don't think I get enough off consistently.
Patrick Vernacchio

Posted by: LARRY PIRRONE (---.los-angeles-04-05rs.ca.dial-access.att.net)
Date: November 23, 2004 07:31PM

well, i admit that the 1/4 ratio was kind of a guess on my part and an experiment. it did work however and cured hard. i think the alcohol eventually just "evaporates" out and leaves you with epoxy. the second cote was full strength flexcoat light and the wraps are solid and clear. after all is said and done it seems like it was a solution without a problem.

Posted by: Kevin Kresowaty (---.nwcspa.adelphia.net)
Date: November 23, 2004 08:57PM

I use Flex Coat lite exclusively and don't see a need to thin it. It already penetrates wraps pretty well, and does so quicker than high build FC.

If your worried about a penetrating coat of finish, try using Permagloss as a base coat. It's already mixed, and is very thin (when your using a fresh bottle). But be sure to fill any tunnels along the feet as this is sometimes a problem with the Permagloss.

Kevin

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster