I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

ever have drywall tape failure?
Posted by: eric zamora (216.101.134.---)
Date: November 22, 2004 07:11PM

there's an interesting thread over at [www.flyfisherman.com] under the rodbuilding forum. a gentleman was using the flexible mesh drywall tape and discovered what apears to be failure of the tape used as a reel seat arbor. anybody else have this experience?

eric zamora
fresno, ca.

[outdoorsbest.zeroforum.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: ever have drywall tape failure?
Posted by: William Colby (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: November 22, 2004 07:44PM

Then he did a poor job on the assembly as there is nothing to fail with the tape. The mesh traps and holds the epoxy. It forms a hard, solid mass when done. I would think he either did a poor job in working his epoxy into the tape grid or did a poor job with his surfaces preparation.

Posted by: William Colby (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: November 22, 2004 08:00PM

I read the post. It's a bit silly. The adhesive on the tape did not react with his RodBond and cause it to fail to harden. He either didn't mix the stuff well or didn't get close enough to a 50-50 mix. As Ralph O'Quinn would say, he's "witch hunting." His conclusion that the adhesive on the tape "reacted" with the RodBond is a poor conclusion. He's looking everywhere but at the person who did the measuring and mixing. If he'll look there he'll find the culprit.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: November 22, 2004 08:14PM

Got to agree with William. If he did it right the blank would have failed long before the arbors would.

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (12.174.138.---)
Date: November 22, 2004 10:10PM

As William said the open mesh design squeezed the epoxy thoughout the entire arbor. It wouldn't matter if the tape completely disentigrated there would still be a solid arbor of epoxy left. I use fiberglass tape but usually only on heavy offshore rods. Normal procedure for me is to apply epoxy to the tape every three to five wraps. I'm assured of complete penetration in doing so. Jay

Posted by: David Gilberg (---.pghk.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 22, 2004 10:33PM

I have used Rod Bond with fiberglass dry wall tape to rebuild rotted out wood butts among other things. Rod Bond and tape works perfectly when done correctly and will probably last many lifetimes. This fellow has obviously done something wrong.

Posted by: eric zamora (---.dialsprint.net)
Date: November 23, 2004 12:18AM

thanks everyone. your assessment seemed, on first read, kind of harsh but perhaps correct. what do i know? i'm new to this. i had hoped the poster, tom, would chime in and fill us in with some details. perhaps there's some valid point he didn't mention that might change the verdict. i suggested that he post here with his problem; perhaps i should have waited even longer. i sincerely hope i haven't overstepped my boundaries but i wanted to know what everyone here thought before i began with the tape myself.

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: Ralph Jones (---.att.net)
Date: November 23, 2004 05:46AM

The drywall mesh and Rod Bond is as near to an idiot-proof arbor as I've seen, for building your own, but this person seems to have outdone himself. Ralph

Posted by: George Thurston (---.faa.gov)
Date: November 23, 2004 07:44AM

Y'all are too kind.

LoL

IMHO - graphite arbors are the only way to go.

Posted by: John Butterfield (---.adsl.gulftel.net)
Date: November 23, 2004 08:47AM

Drywall works great for me. I use it between masking tape arbors on each end. This makes for a cleaner job and keeps the epoxy from running out the ends. It also centers the reel seat better. Ralph - I am 180 out with you, I would never use arbors, masking tape is easier and works just as well, if not better. John Butterfield

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.152.57.180.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: November 23, 2004 09:24AM

The foam type arbors that Flex Coat sells are by far the fastest (and probably the best) way to mount a seat (anybody can do it with these in under a minute flat).

Drywall tape is a good method also. I strongly suspect that the fellow that had this trouble just didn't go a good or proper job either mixing, measuring or applying it. But I suppose it's only human nature to blame the tape or the adhesive rather than the tapee or the adherer.

Posted by: Chris Catignani (---.vitalchek.com)
Date: November 23, 2004 10:21AM

I like the FlexCoat arbors too...Sometimes I put a wrap or two of mess tape down and coat it then slide the FlexCoat Arbor in place.

I think you can sometimes have too big of a mess arbor.

Posted by: eric zamora (---.dialsprint.net)
Date: November 23, 2004 10:25PM

uhhh, what is a mess arbor?

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: Tony Hill (---.248.232.154.Dial1.Washington2.Level3.net)
Date: November 27, 2004 08:14PM

I only used "graphite" foam arbors until I discovered the mesh.

The mesh is much faster to work with, and I've had 100% success with it. I've had 100% success with the arbors, too, so it's really up to the builder.

TH

Posted by: Hugh Miller (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: November 28, 2004 10:39PM

I've never had a failure. I agree with William Colby; the man didn't do something right. I have a handout about installing reels seats with fiberglas drywall tape for those who are interested

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster