I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Flyrod Info!
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: November 21, 2004 09:32PM

OK, Guys

I'm really going to expose my lack of knowledge here! I will be building a 2003 Forecast 865-3. 8'6", 5 wt. 3 piece this winter for myself and I have never built a fly rod nor do I know how to fly fish (I just retired and am determined to learn to fly fish next spring) It will be mostly used for panfish, small bass on ponds and small lakes (sometimes from a small boat). The only thing that I know is that I will be using ceramics and turning my own grip (what style, I have no idea!) but other than that I am lost! I know absolutely nothing about fly lines, tippets (whatever they are), real seats, etc. I need suggestions/help with everything! Test casting for guide placement is pretty much out of the picture as I don't know how to cast a fly rod and none of my fishing circle do either.

Simply put - I need your HELP!!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Flyrod Info!
Posted by: William Colby (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: November 21, 2004 09:40PM

You some need good basic instructional info on fly fishing and casting. I'd look at Amazon or even your local fly shop if you have one and buy something very basic on the fishing and casting in particular. Don't get too fancy or involved with too much at one time. Casting a fly rod is much easier than some authors make it out to be.

Building the rod isn't a problem. Put the first guide about 4 inches behind the tip and the butt or stripping guide about 30 inches from the rod butt and static space them just as you do on any other rod. The handle goes on just the same as your other rods but the reel seat is on the end and the grip will be above that. I would recommend a standard reverse half wells grip for your rod and a nice uplocking screw type reel seat.

You just thought you were addicted to rod building. Just wait until you get a fly rod done.

Posted by: Stan Grace (---.hln-mt.client.bresnan.net)
Date: November 21, 2004 10:08PM

Mike
When you are learning to fly fish remember that there isn't anything mystical or difficult about it. You need to learn to cast using the line as your weight rather than a lure or sinker as the weight, Loading the fly rod to cast is a matter of matching the weight of the line to the rod as opposed to matching the lure weight to the rod as in spinning or baitcasting.

There is enough information about fly fishing and fly fishing methods to over load your mind for years to come but basically you are just trying to present an artificial bait in a natural manner regardless of whether or not you are fishing with a wet fly or a dry fly. It also helps if you can visualize or reduce all terms and nomenclature peculiar to fly fishing to terms you may be more familiar with. An example may be a fly fishing "strike indicator" serves much the same purpose as a bait fishing "bobber".

I've been fly fishing for about 60 years now and would be happy to share some of the things I've learned. If you have particular questions feel free to email me.

Stan Grace

Posted by: Jeff Fultz (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: November 21, 2004 11:03PM

Mike,

I'm sure you'll receive tons of help on component choices for this fly rod so I'll leave that part alone, but to help you to get strated casting, check out my "Effortless Casting" instructional page at: [www.platteriverrods.com]

Feel free to call me if you have any questions.

Posted by: Andy Dear (---.dsl.snantx.swbell.net)
Date: November 21, 2004 11:23PM

Mike,
www.sexyloops.com

Over 2000 pages of flycasting/tying and general info....the best on the web. On their bulletin board you'll get input from regulars like Bruce Richards (designs all the Scientific Anglers flylines), Bill Gammel (helped write the FFF exams and ciriculum), Jaosn Borger (Shadowcaster in A River Runs Through it), Mark Sedotti shows up occasionally, and just a ton of good casters from around the world always sharing info.
The owner of the site Paul Arden is a close friend of mine, and is a great guy...a true FlyFishing bum! How many folks do you know that have NO job and live 6 months out of the year in New Zealand and 6 months in the states living out of their car chasing fish with a flyrod! I had the priveledge of sharing some time on the soccer field casting flyrods with Paul last month, and he is an amazingly talented caster.
I highly reccomend that you spend at least a few weeks at the sexyloops website. You'll cut you're learning curve in half in just a few days studying all the info. on there

Andy Dear
Lamar Reel Seats

Posted by: Bryan Ion (---.cable.ubr03.gate.blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: November 22, 2004 02:48AM

I Will second that on Paul,i have known him for a number of years,fished with him,and listened to his banter,
His sight his well worth a look.
he does actually spend some time in the UK,but not much....

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.195.171.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: November 22, 2004 07:24AM

Mike; I would suggest use the " 2004 " blanks instead. The 4's are made better then the 3's. Nicer finish and straighter.

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: November 22, 2004 10:24AM

Mike
While in Charlotte, there will be some people who can more than help a beginner get set up.

Putter

Posted by: Don Davis (199.173.225.---)
Date: November 22, 2004 03:05PM

Mike. When I learned to cast 30 years ago in Texas, I had never seen another caster. Nowadays there are videos and instructional booklets for all of this. I will pass along 2 tips. First, leave all your other tackle at home so you will not be tempted to regress. Like riding a bicycle, you have to reach a tolerable skill level before the process ceases to be painful. It took me a couple of outings. Second, start with the roll cast on a short line (look it up). Once you have this cast down, the rest seems to come much more naturally. And the roll cast will remain a useful cast in your bag of tricks. Once you master the fly rod, you will rarely be tempted away.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: November 23, 2004 05:29PM

Thanks a lot, Guys. I've now got enough resources/info to keep me busy this winter

Mike

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster