I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

CP Problem Again !
Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 19, 2004 09:04PM

Well, it happened again for the sixth time in 18 months. I ain't going to take it anymore without a fight. This post constitutes notification that I plan on filing a class action civil litigation against Mr. Seider, Flexcoat and Mr. O'Quinn, U-40, for damages incurred by the packaging of the 1 ounce Color Preserver. The similarity of the packaging is an indication of "conspiracy" for the express intent of increasing their personal profit.

Delivering this product, in narrow based tall plastic bottles, with a high center of gravity along with instructions to apply the product with a brush while turning insures that the product will be tipped over and spilled frequently by the product users. While hand turning the rod and attempting to reload the brush with one free hand the chance of tipping over the bottle is very high which causes spillage and premature loss of product. This spillage has caused damages to my rod business, in the form of, loss of product, delays due to reorder time, poor work product by trying substitutes and sick pet dogs. My registered Pekinese ate the paper towel that was used to wipe up the last spilled bottle of CP and is now running wildly through the yard barking at the moon.

Does anyone know where you can get one of the old ink bottles that were low and big mouthed so I can transfer my next bottle of CP.

Gon Fishn

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: CP Problem Again !
Posted by: Fran Park (---.sc.rr.com)
Date: November 19, 2004 09:14PM

You can go to your local hobby store such as Michaels or Hobby Lobby, buy a bottle of india ink, (white would be best) and dump it out. Then use the bottle for CP.
I have knocked over just about every thing I use to build rods. I can't seem to have enough burnishing tools on my bench. I'm going to tie a string to them so I don't have to continually get off my ---- and pick them up off the floor. Thus far, I haven't knocked over my burning alcohol lamp, although I have repeatedly singed off all the hair on both my forearms.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: November 19, 2004 09:39PM

Bill, Fran,

You guys are dangerous!!!!!!!!
Mike

Posted by: steve runyan (---.palmer.mtaonline.net)
Date: November 19, 2004 10:22PM

Bill,

I can empathize with you. Why, just last week I was running around barking at my dog and mooning the moon! Maybe the fumes? Griffin has an applicator bottle available with either a brush or bodkin for head cement, that should work great for your CP. Hareline Dubbin carries them, and some of the sponsors on the left may, as well. They're pretty cheap, 3-4 dollars. I have some too, but there'd be some shipping. hmmmmmmmm does someone make an all steel set of rod building tools?? Maybe a magnetic worbench to hold them where they need to be.

Here's your cure
Posted by: William Colby (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: November 19, 2004 10:32PM

Take a piece of old EVA foam with an inner diameter that will fit snugly around the bottom of the color preserver bottle. Cut a length about 1/2 inch long and fit that onto the end of the bottom of the bottle. Now you can't knock it over. I learned the hard way but have been spill free for several years now. Knock on wood.

Re: Here's your cure
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.141.52.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: November 19, 2004 11:04PM

You could epoxy a small piece of say thin wood under the bottle this way it will not fall over. Or you can put the rod on a slow turner and hold the bottle in one hand and the brush in the other. Novel idea?? Open windows and no beer! LOL Till done any way

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: November 20, 2004 02:42AM

Why not put your bottle on the other side of your turner this way you have to reach for it. I actually pour what little I need inot colth licquid soap cap. No spills so far
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Jesse Buky (---.exis.net)
Date: November 20, 2004 09:16AM

Best thing you can do is not use the stuff. Jesse

Posted by: Lance Dupre (---.sw.biz.rr.com)
Date: November 20, 2004 09:57AM

Best answer so far, Jesse.

Lance

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 20, 2004 10:04AM

Jesse - I only use the infernal stuff for butt wraps. When the customer realizes HIS color selection looks like do-do and wants the rod redone it is easy to get the thread off and start over. Like Never on Sunday, CP, is never on guides!

Weather here ! Outta Blanks!! Watch Out board!!!

Not Gon Fishn & Upta No Good

Posted by: Kenneth Prager (---.ded.ameritech.net)
Date: November 20, 2004 10:46AM

Add me to the class action suit. Put a piece of florist putty on the bottom of the bottles/dishes/trays you are using. One roll about $.89 will last you three builders lifetimes . I works great for picking up stray thread too. Frosty the dog ate the paper towel too and ended up with bladder cancer. Wear your respirator when working with the stuff you plan to spill.
Regards,
Kenneth Prager

Posted by: Jesse Buky (---.exis.net)
Date: November 20, 2004 02:24PM

Bill, You spend a lot of time on your butt wrap, you put the cp on just like the directions say, now you are ready for the crap shoot. You never know how it's going to turn out when you put the finish on. It is not worth taking a chance on having to re-wrap so I just stay away from the stuff.Ninetynine percent of the time I use Black over metallic which needs no cp. Jesse

Posted by: Tim Johnson (---.ma.dl.cox.net)
Date: November 20, 2004 02:35PM

When using CP, due to it's nature to dry quickly, I pour a little out into the corner of an aluminum pan that I would also use for pouring out my epoxy prior to application. You typically don't need much and the little bit lost is no big deal when compared to a thickened bottle of goop, or a untimely spill.

Tim

Posted by: Art Sullender (---.focal.isomedia.com)
Date: November 20, 2004 03:14PM

I use clean salmon egg jars 11/2 to 2oz with the rubber ring still in the lid dump your stuff in and the rubber ring will seal until used up then clean jar and lid and then your ready to go again.

Keep your lines in the water
Art

Posted by: Barry Whitehouse (---.0.98.107.adsl.snet.net)
Date: November 20, 2004 05:57PM

I never dip a brush directly into a bottle of CP for fear that I may contaminate it. I alway pour out a dime or quarter size puddle of it onto aluminum foil, and dip the brush in the pool of CP. I haven't tipped over a bottle yet, because I cap it immediately. Hope this helps.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster