I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

cork ring color
Posted by: john black (63.146.104.---)
Date: November 18, 2004 08:44AM

glued up a handle using regular cork rings and brown burl and was disappointed in the colors. had hoped for more of a contrast. read the thread on dyeing but would rather buy a few dark ones. i saw burnt cork in the old videos i viewed but can't find any. any suggestions? THANKS

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: cork ring color
Posted by: Emory Harry (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: November 18, 2004 10:06AM

John,
Burnt cork is in my judgement much more attractive than burl cork and will give you more contrast between it and the rest of your cork as it is a very dark brown. Unfortunately it has not been available from any supplier in 20 or 25 years. However, once in a great while you will find someone selling some on @#$%&. If you keep watching you may find some there.

Posted by: Emory Harry (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: November 18, 2004 10:09AM

John,
You might also want to check with Angler's Workshop. They have been saying for a year that they were going to have some but the last time I checked they still did not have any.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.129.228.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: November 18, 2004 10:22AM

You can make your own "colored" rings out of thinned clear, cork dust, and tints.

Posted by: Bruce Young (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 18, 2004 10:52AM

Here is a way to highlight your burl cork rings. I use this method and you can adapt to about anything. I buy sheets of Fun Foam at the craft stores. It is about an 1/8 " thick and very pliable. You can trace a cork ring with a pen and then cut it out with scissors. Real quick and easy. Fold the circle in half and cut a small vee out of the ceter folded area. When gluing up cork rings on a mandrel I just butter them up real nice and remove the excess Rod Bond and glue them up next to the burl rings. You can use a bracket style, laminate one on the outside of the burl rings. Or you can lay one inbetween two burl rings surrounded by natural corl rings. Both applications look good. When you compress the cork in your press be sure to watch how much pressure you apply to not overcompress the foam. Keep all rings compressed equally to achieve the same width. Durring this process the foam will soak in the glue giving it a good firm spot in the handle. Be sure to keep the center hole in the Fun Foam ring as close to tollerance as it stretches upon compression of the handle assembly. It sands best using a sanding block for a straight transition to the cork. You can get this Fun Foam in different colors so let your imagination go wild.

Good luck,

Bruce Young
Landing Gear

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.152.54.7.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: November 18, 2004 10:55AM

Lamar Reel Seats has some exotic cork that has large dark areas in it. This might give you the contrast you desire.

Or.. put a coat or two of Tru-Oil on your burl rings which will also darken them and bring out the burl pattern.

Posted by: john black (63.146.104.---)
Date: November 18, 2004 12:45PM

Tom Kirkman wrote:

> Lamar Reel Seats has some exotic cork that has large dark areas
> in it. This might give you the contrast you desire.
>
> Or.. put a coat or two of Tru-Oil on your burl rings which will
> also darken them and bring out the burl pattern.
>
> .........
andy has some back ordered for me. will try the tru oil trick. thanks.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: November 18, 2004 03:20PM

I second the Foam sheets! I use a lot of them and they really look nice when they are color-coordinated with the wrap colors. They come in a wide range of colors and a couple of different thicknesses.

Mike

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: November 18, 2004 04:52PM

What I have done in that past is use a old nylon stocking and burnish while turning the cork at high speed on my lath. I have also done the same thing after putting on a clear or tinted varithane. I burnish the rings till the nylon starts smokeing. This well also give the cork a petina look.
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: John Dow (---.60.169.79.adsl.snet.net)
Date: November 18, 2004 08:38PM

Tom's idea is what I would suggest also , the TruOil realy brings out the color and highlights in the burl . I have also done thin (1/16) EVA rings between the two different corks , looks outstanding. JD

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster