I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

coffee filters & finish question(s)
Posted by: Fred Murphy (---.stkn.mdsg-pacwest.com)
Date: November 17, 2004 10:53PM

I'm trying to apply a Spar varnish finish on my blank and having trouble getting it even and smooth. I've seen several mentions of using a coffee filter to apply finishes to a blank. Are we talking plain old Mr. Coffee type filters? Also, how do use it to apply finish? Do you roll it up, use a strip of it, or just a wad of it? I'd like to try it, but I'm tired of applying and removing finish and would like to get the job done without further problems. Any help from this great board would really be appreciated.
Murf

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: coffee filters & finish question(s)
Posted by: Jay Lancaster (63.168.119.---)
Date: November 17, 2004 11:49PM

Besides the filters and cheese cloth it was also suggested on this site to use one of the black foam paint brushes. Use the black foam not gray as a chemical reaction will occur with the gray brushes. A simple light squeeze of the foam on the blank will apply a wonderfully thin & streak free coat of your finish of choice. I liked the brush much better than the filters. Chances are I was not doing the filter method much justice. The foam brushes just seamed much easier to me. Good luck. Jay

Date: November 18, 2004 12:33AM

What about bubbles with the foam brushes? I can't seem to avoid getting bubbles in the finish when using regular brushes..
Murf

Posted by: Steven Daley (---.cpe.cableone.net)
Date: November 18, 2004 08:12AM

anyone try to spray a blank with a cup gun hvlp?

steve

Posted by: Dale Richardson (139.72.1.---)
Date: November 18, 2004 08:31AM

I've experimented with hand sanding "rough" blanks and spraying finishes using an air brush. I put the blank in one of my dryers and get it turning, then spray a 50/50 mixture of clear urethane laquer finish (satin) and laquer thinner. Make sure that you are wearing a respirator and have good ventilation as you do this. So far, I've been very happy with the results.

Dale Richardson
Mojo Rods

Posted by: Bil Gburek (---.arsup.psu.edu)
Date: November 18, 2004 08:46AM

Fred,

I'm certainly not an expert in this area -- there are probably many others on this listserve more experienced than I at refinishing rods, however...

I tried the coffee filter method (plain old Mr. Coffee or whatever) and found it to be quite easy and effective. To apply a single coat, I pretty much saturated most of a filter with varnish, rolled it around the rod loosely, and pulled it in the butt-to-tip direction a couple of times. I had the blank hanging from a beam in my basement.

One thing to watch for though -- because the layer applied is so thin, it dries to tackiness pretty quickly, so you can't do more than a couple of swipes with the filter at one time. The up-side though is that since the individual coats are so thin, and consequently it does dry so quickly, you can apply the multiple coats needed in a relatively short time, depending on the conditions under which you're drying the blank.

The finished product looked really good -- no runs, no drips, no errors!

BTW, wore throw-away plastic gloves to keep the hands clean.

Bilge

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (208.33.68.---)
Date: November 18, 2004 10:19AM

I've seen no real problems with bubbles using the foam brushes. Jay

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.129.228.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: November 18, 2004 10:36AM

I have placed blanks on a "slow turner" and brushed different materials on. No room for a compressor, don't like the pressure of the air cans, make thin, then brush, starting from the tip to the butt. On tip sections I stick a piece of scrap blank in it and put a turn or two of 1/4" tape right against the female end so material does not get inside and glue the two together. Using good lighting one can get a nice level wet coat

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.129.228.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: November 18, 2004 10:38AM

" soft hair brush "

Date: November 18, 2004 12:30PM

Thanks for all the help, I'll give both the foam brushes and a coffee filter a try.
Murf

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: November 18, 2004 03:25PM

Some one (I think Tom K.) recently suggested soaking a corner of a black foam brush with the finish and actually sticking the blank tip right through the foam and pulling the whole blank through it. Sounds like a great idea to me

Mike

Posted by: Ed Michura (---.kcnet.org)
Date: November 18, 2004 04:06PM

Try dipping.

Posted by: Chris Catignani (---.vitalchek.com)
Date: November 18, 2004 04:53PM

Fred,

I have settled in on takeing a piece of sponge (1x1x1) and wrapping the coffee filter around it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster