I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Finish Problem
Posted by: Fred Schoenduby (---.msn.com)
Date: November 17, 2004 07:27PM

I have a first...a Sage fly rod I built 4 months ago has the finish peeling off the first ferrule and some of the tops of the guides and turning yellow..I used Flex Coat Lite on top of Gudebrod Twist thread I also used Gudebrod 811 color lock...the female ferrules show chalkly looking lines in white and yellow streaking downwards in a straight line...I have never had a problem of this sort and have used the same finish and thred on other rods with no problems...The owner is out of the country and I am unable to see if he was using something on the rod that contaminated it...it seems to have gotten under the finish on only the larger guides so far...Any help would be most welcome
Fred

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Finish Problem
Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 17, 2004 07:48PM

Are you referring to the thread that has a twist of metallic running in a loose pattern down the thread. I think that it is called Trimar and the factory says no CP is required. I have had two rods with that thread peel also. I have no idea what caused it but no more! I think I remember some posts on the board about six months ago warning about the use of this thread.

Gon Fishn

Posted by: Kit Harrison (---.txucom.net)
Date: November 17, 2004 08:02PM

Fred, I also had a customer who brought a rod back with the chalky look to it. I replaced the wraps and a few months later he called again with the same problem. After meeting him on the boat ramp at the lake, We were standing by his boat as he was unloading. When he started pulling the rods out of the rod box, I noticed a 6 volt battery with a light attached to it that was stored in the same area the chalk showed up on his rods. After telling him to remove the light and battery and move it to a different storage compartment, he has had no problem. And his rods were built out of the same Flex Coat that I built several rods from in the same time period and his were the only ones who eventually had this chalk in them. So I would as some questions?

Kit

Posted by: Fred Schoenduby (---.msn.com)
Date: November 17, 2004 08:19PM

No...I am not using the Trimar thread ... I am using the old style twist thread [orange and black] ...The battery was a good thought!!! any others????

Posted by: Ricky Wilson (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: November 17, 2004 10:05PM

I just wonder if maybe he's spraying something on those rods to clean them and it turns out it's something that's hurting the finish?

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: November 17, 2004 11:26PM

I don't know what happened with this guide wrap...

I have used Trimar threads for many years; never a problem. I have an old trolling rod with blue and gold Trimar thread on the guides that I built in 1986 or so. Still use it whenever I troll cranks as my hand-held rod. The blue has faded a bit, but no problems...

Sure hope it doesn't catch up to me, Bill. I still use the Trimars once in a while and wouldn't like to re-do any of them!!

Putter

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster