I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

FLY ROD SUGGESTIONS
Posted by: KEITH BURNETTE (---.roa.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 16, 2004 06:21PM

I HAVE BEEN BUILDING BASS RODS FOR A YEAR OR SO, AND I HAVE SOLD A FEW. I AM FAIRLY COMPETENT WITH BASS RODS BECAUSE I HAVE USED THEM FOR YEARS AND KNOW WHAT I WANT. I NOW WANT TO BUILD A FLY ROD FOR PANFISH. I THINK I CAN LEARN TO USE IT, BUT DO NOT KNOW ENOUGH AT THIS POINT TO EVEN START. I WANT TO FISH FOR BLUEGILL IN PONDS AND LAKES. OPEN AREAS SO I CAN DO LESS DAMAGE TO START WITH. I THOUGHT MAYBE A 7 OR
7 1\2' 3 WT. I REALLY NEED INPUT FROM THOSE WHO HAVE SOME EXPERIENCE.
THANK YOU IN ADVANCE,
KEITH

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: FLY ROD SUGGESTIONS
Posted by: Christian Brink (---.dsl.aracnet.com)
Date: November 16, 2004 06:59PM

Keith -

That sounds good. I usually use a 2-3wt for bluegill. If you're a beginning caster I would look at the Rainshadow RX7's. IIRC they're being closed-out and are priced well. They have a 6' 6" 2wt and a 7' 9" 3wt.

For flies: I generally do better with nymphs, but occasionally dry flies work well. Actually anything subsurface they will hit.

Christian

Posted by: Bob Crook (---.178.168.252.Dial1.Seattle1.Level3.net)
Date: November 16, 2004 07:26PM

I built a Dan Craft 8ft 2pc 2wt a last year and fished it this summer and I really like for tight quarters and from a pontoon boat for smaller fish. nice. I use a 3wt floating line and fih mostly dry's and nymphs. Never fished for bluegill but brought to hand quite a few trout this summer both stream and lake fishing. It is a blast to hook a 12 incher on a 2wt .

You will enjoy it.

Bob

Posted by: Ralph Jones (---.att.net)
Date: November 16, 2004 11:10PM

What kind of Panfish fly fishing? For a general all around first fly rod I suggest a moderate action, 8 - 9 ft. 5 - 6 wt. graphite blank to start with. Buy a basic handle setup & Alconite guides. I love a 3 wt., but not to learn to flyfish with. Take a look at AllStar, Forcast or St.Croix For a blank. Once you get out there and start fly fishing, and catching some good bluegills or whatever your panfish preference is, Then start planning your perfect flyrod. Right now you want "a good one to learn on", I think. Ralph

Posted by: Mike Parker (208.6.1.---)
Date: November 17, 2004 08:48AM

For fly fishing in open areas, you want at least an 8' rod; 8' 6" or 9' would be even better. If you're a beginner, the longer rod is easier to learn on, and a moderate/moderate-fast action is more forgiving and pleasant. Many companies make a 9' 3wt in their mid level series that should be just right.

Posted by: Steve Kartalia (---.ferc.gov)
Date: November 17, 2004 09:05AM

Ponds and lakes, I usually reach for a rod that's 8' to 8'6" and 4-6wt. I like to use decent size flies and be prepared for the bass that swirl up and gulp your popper. 9' rods in the same weights are good choices too but I prefer shorter rods. Your 7.5' 3wt. is a popular choice for this type fishing. I guess it's really a matter of personal preference and you are getting several opinions of what people prefer for this type fishing. Any way you go, this is fun fishing!

Posted by: Randy Klein (---.dsl.wcfltx.swbell.net)
Date: November 17, 2004 08:59PM

I like my St. Croix sc iv 7'6" 3wt. It's the older model. I use it on creeks and smaller ponds for blue gill and small bass. It's a great rod.
If you're going to fish larger lakes you may want to go with a longer rod suggested above.

Posted by: Bob McKamey (64.53.115.---)
Date: November 18, 2004 09:59AM

For an all-round rod, you'll never go wrong with an 8-1/2 ft. - 5 wt.

Bob McKamey -- Custom Tackle Supply

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster