I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

20 minutes of fame
Posted by: Rick Koontz (65.196.57.---)
Date: November 16, 2004 03:44PM

Hi Guys and gals,

As part of an upcoming job interview, I have to give a 20 minute presentation. The topic is unbounded. The employer is looking for (a) passion for the topic, (b) knowledge of topic, and (c) how well I carry myself. Of course I chose rod building and my custom rod business. I know what I am going to present, and since subject matter isn't as important I'm not too concerned about getting all of the little details in or forgetting to explain the difference between a hotshot rod and a plug rod. However, for my own reference I will lay out the presentation as if it matters.

In the process I've been thinking about what all should be included.

If you were in this situation, what would you include as the highlights of a rod building presentation? What would you brush over, what would you go in-depth on?

Assume the audience is filled with intelligent people that have never fished.

Thanks,
Rick

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 20 minutes of fame
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.an3.nyc41.da.uu.net)
Date: November 16, 2004 03:53PM

How about the one main thing - Why a Custom Rod. Why a Custom Car, why have a house built , instead of buying off the shelf. Difference in guides, placement, why, spine. Heck you know

Posted by: Steve Kartalia (---.ferc.gov)
Date: November 16, 2004 04:01PM

I would focus on the 1) interactive component of the business between you and your customers; and 2) the problem-solving component of rodbuilding. These are 2 general themes that you can use to outline the presentation. Then, in giving examples of those 2 things, you can present enough specifics (as you see fit) to demonstrate your knowledge of the subject. In the meantime, you have demonstrated two skills that EVERY employer is looking for: working with people and solving problems.

Good luck,

Steve

Posted by: Fran Park (---.atlaga.adelphia.net)
Date: November 16, 2004 04:08PM

Rick, lots of good ideas here on what to talk about. My advice deals more with presentation. You may be an expert orator, but just in case, here's the three steps in making a speech or presentation:
1. Tell 'em what you're going to tell them (Introduction)
2. Tell them (Body)
3. Tell them what you told them (Conclusion & Summary)
Good luck with the interview!

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.an3.nyc41.da.uu.net)
Date: November 16, 2004 04:12PM

Steve's idea maks sence. You are going for a job?? Your boss would like to know how you are with people

Posted by: George Thurston (---.faa.gov)
Date: November 16, 2004 04:32PM

I've given many sales presentations in my life and this could be the sale of your life.

Focus on your audiance. Who are you giving this presentation to? - and most importantly, why?

You are selling yourself for the job, so content is not as important as presentation.

Do you have a laptop? Do you know Powerpoint? If so, use both. If not, don't step up and wing it, be prepared. Practice your 'speech' until you have it down cold.

Of course, look good. Wear a suit - or if it's not that kinda job, then dress up, like you really want to sell the audience that you are the man for the job.

Since he gave you the option to choose a topic of your interest, you already have familiararity with it, show a bit of passion.

Don't go into to much detail, remember these aren't rod builders. Cover the basics, handle, guides, blank. Say a little about each and close w/ custom rods allow the angler to choose what they need.

And for Gods sake, don't do what some experts say and visualize the audience naked. Imagine if the decision makers some overweight bald guy, then you visalize him naked. You'll screw up for sure.

Good luck. You can email me if you need any further advise, but KISS - keep it simple and stupid.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.152.57.226.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: November 16, 2004 04:48PM

Wrap your presentation around a common idea and let it go from there.

On the FAOL site under the discussion on custom versus commercially made rods, someone brought mentioned that the worst marketing or sales idea in the world was "one size fits all." Right there is one great topic you could base your presentation on. Use it to open with and to make your case for custom rods.

There are others you can use, but this one came to mind after seeing it yesterday.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 16, 2004 05:00PM

I hope this makes sence. I have participated in a number of interviews where these skills were required. The time is awful short if you have not been trained in the concept but think about it for a few minutes and maybe it will impact your presentation.

There is a major difference between features and benefits of a product that you are attempting to sell. Many people get wrapped up in the features and dwell entirely too much time in this area and completely ignore the benefits of the product.

A custom rod has many features, fine cork, intricate thread work, quality blank, good workmanship and all the other things that are important to a builder. Those things are not what a potential buyer of a custom rod is interested in - casts better, longer life, aesthetic beauty, catches more fish are the things that he desires.

Remember and think about it - there are only FOUR attitudes that anyone can exhibit when you make a statement -

Acceptance - Reply Close
Skeptism - Reply Offer an Acceptable Proof Source
Objection - Reply Stress other benefits
Indifference - Reply Closed probe to uncover another area of need.

I guess what I am trying to say is do not bore them with the details that are important to you.

Good Luck

Gon fishn

Posted by: Keith Tymchuk (198.237.218.---)
Date: November 16, 2004 07:04PM

Rick,

I think Steve hit a grand slam with his ideas. those are skills that transfer over to any professional arena. They require people skills and problem-solving. Heck, I'ld hire you!

Keith

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: November 16, 2004 08:13PM

One you have told them about your building, They need to know how this relates to your customers. Most customers do not know exactly what they want or can't explain what they need. This is where youexpertise comes in, guideing the customer in the right direction. With this knowledge you can improve their business
Good Wraps Bob PS selling yourself is the hardest thing in any job

Posted by: Pete Kornegay (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: November 16, 2004 09:40PM

A good linkage between your rod building business and your desirability as a prospective employee is "attention to detail." There are hundreds of people walking the streets who could probably do a mediocre job in the position for which you are interviewing but it is the person who exhibits attention to detail that the employer is seeking. If you do a Power Point presentation, also bring samples of your finest work as the pictures just won't do them justice.

Pete Kornegay

Posted by: Kenneth Prager (---.175.207.201.Dial1.Philadelphia1.Level3.ne)
Date: November 16, 2004 11:23PM

Rick, start with an ice breaker and put the audience at ease. Transition into the reason you are there. Make your presentation -targeted at the benefits of the product for the buyer - not yourself or your knowledge or its features. Check frequently using a question as a response check - get the buyer involved (let him/her touch it, smell it, see it) or tantilize them by not letting them touch it - make them want it or you. Summarize your presentation. Leave a minute or two to clear up any objections and questions the buyer has, and then ask for the order - in this case the job, before you conclude your 20 minutes.

Posted by: Rick Koontz (65.196.57.---)
Date: November 17, 2004 09:55AM

Hi guys,

Thanks for all the great advice. I was thinking along the same lines as Steve for general outline and layout. The topics of "Why a custom rod" and customer interaction were certainly high on my priority list.

Tom, I really like that phrase 'one size fits all'. I wouldn't have thought to use it here, but now it may be the title of the presentation (well a tweaked form at least).

I've given a whole bunch of presentations from sales to technical so presentation skills better not be an issue. I will be using powerpoint and I will have some samples on hand. I was thinking of doing some feather inlay work and giving out samples, but thought that may seem too much like bribery. Maybe after I get the job it will be the thank you note.

Thanks for all the advice,
Rick

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster