I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

I need a large tip
Posted by: Matthew Sattazahn (---.bntasp01.fl.comcast.net)
Date: November 16, 2004 03:12PM

I am putting new guides on a surf rod, I haven't been to successful in finding a tip for it, and I was hoping someone on the fourm could help. I am looking for a 16 ring and a 12 or 14 tube (I am going to buy one of each). I would perfer a Fuji Hardloy, but I'll take what I can get!

Any sites or sponsors have 'em?

Since this is my first post, I just would like to say thanks for all the information that you all share. I just re-finished a boat rod (my first) with a spiral wrap and it wouldnt have been as easy or enjoyable without this board. OK, you guys have me officially addicted!

Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I need a large tip
Posted by: Lou Reyna (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: November 16, 2004 03:28PM

Fuji BPLT16-14 is widely available, should not be too difficult to find and should fit both blanks. Try one of the retail or wholessale vendore listed in the left column.

Lou

Posted by: Tom S. Brown (---.olypen.com)
Date: November 16, 2004 04:02PM

Hi Matthew,

Pacific Bay has tops that will fit what you need. The item numbers are BPHT16-13.0 and BPHT16-14.0. Check with any one of our distributors and you should be able to get ahold of a couple.

If you need help locating a distributor in your area e-mail me and I will direct you to one.

Tom S. Brown
Pacific Bay International

Posted by: Barry Thomas (---.riogrd01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: November 16, 2004 08:57PM

If you are going to be using Braided Line (Powerpro-Spiderwire)

I would suggest that you step up to a SIC Tip, because of friction and the load put on the ring. I throw allstar 1508 12'6" with powerpro and know the strain that is put on the tip when casting 8 and a bait

Re: I need a large SURF tip
Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: November 17, 2004 06:32AM

I'll chime in with Barry, and recommend splurging for the SIC. The SIC are much harder & stronger. The SIC have a larger flange ring protruding toward the edge of the tip-top guide's frame. This helps lift the line over the frame’s edge, and prevents it from rubbing on and cutting into the metal frame, and abraiding the line. – SURF TIP-TOPS:

SILICON CARBIDE (FUJI's):
BPST-20mm-12/64ths ($12)
PST-16mm-14/64ths ($11)
UST-12mm-18/64ths ($10)
BPST-12mm-15/64ths ($6)--PAC-BAY

HARDLOY (FUJI’s):
BPLT-16mm-14/64ths ($4)
BPLT-20mm-18/64ths ($5)

HIALOY (PAC-BAY’s):
BPHT-16mm-14/64ths ($3)

HOLOGRAPHIC Rings (American Tackle):
Titanium Nitride Coating over Zirconia Ring,
with Titanium-Chrome frames (TiCh).
HZTT-12mm-13/64ths ($5)

[Tube sizes given above are the largest manufactured;
availability depends on vendor. Prices are approximate,
based mostly on Summer Moon Rod Works, sponsor.] - Cliff Hall .

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster