I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Spinning rod and intersect point question
Posted by: Tony Hill (---.ras11.vahen.tii-dial.net)
Date: March 02, 2002 03:30AM

Built my rods around a Shimano reel, and the intersect point is abot 2' from the tip or the rod. Great caster.

Switched to a different reel, and now the intersect point is about 2' from the reel! The rod casts terribly now.

Is there any way to make the setup cast better without changing the rod? I almost want to heat the reel seat and see if I can get it to aim a little lower...

TH

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Spinning rod and intersect point question
Posted by: Harold Tanner (---.xtalwind.net)
Date: March 02, 2002 06:22AM

It must be an unusual reel to have such an angle as to move the intersect point that close. Are you sure the reel hasn't been bent? I don't think heat and bending it would work. It's probably cast metal or some sort of hard plastic. Some reels have no converging angle between the spool shaft and mounting but one like you speak of is something I haven't seen. Maybe you could shim up the front part of the seat so as to get a better angle on the rod if you need to use that reel.

Re: Spinning rod and intersect point question
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialsprint.net)
Date: March 02, 2002 09:11AM

Tony,

The one disadvantage with a true custom rod, is that it has been dialed in to fish with a specific reel. Geat if you continue to use that reel, somewhat less than great if you or your customer switch reels around!

If you know the rod may be fished with more than one type or size reel then you will have to build a little like the factories do - with some measure of compromise.

If you know the smallest, and largest reels likely to be fished on the rod, you would plot the intersect point for both and then locate the choke guide at a point about halfway between those two locations. Guides would be sized for the larger of the two reels. Now you will have something that will work pretty good for a certain range of reels, although might not be optimum for any. Sometimes you just have to do this.

As far as your current dilema, try shimming the seat hood base or reel foot at one end to adjust the spool centerline angle. That should do it.

Re: Spinning rod to match Reel
Posted by: Rich Garbowski (---.voyageur.ca)
Date: March 02, 2002 10:47AM

A client for a custom rod may get a funny look on their face when asked "What reel will you use with this rod"? . That is what I do and for the reason Tom states above, and for the best balance to the rod.
Much of the time balance may be more related to the weight and size of reel for the particular blank, and also the handle configuration and butt length, etc.
Often a similar size reel can be used, but antother thing can happen if the angle off the rotor varies between reels that can change the intersect point and throw things off kilter a bit for optimum casting.

Shimming the reel can usually work and a great idea for the rods you might use and switching reels. For the customer of the rod it's best that they be convinced the rod is 'optimal' for the reel/rod setup you have done for them OR if they are 'reel switchers' to err on the side of
average point a bit further down the blank. This intersect point is not really an absolute, but is a good determining factor for where you should be starting to place the smallest size guides you can get away with (thus weight reduction, better performance, and all that).

Rich
Solyrich Custom Rods.

Re: Spinning rod to match Reel
Posted by: Tony Hill (---.ras11.vahen.tii-dial.net)
Date: March 03, 2002 08:21AM

Thanks for the replies!

This reel is the same size as the Shimano, but it has a rather extreme angle. I bought two on a closeout sale, and they are both like that.

I sent my Shimanos to the factory for servicing, but when they return, these other reels just might be going up on @#$%&! It's too bad, because I like them.

TH

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster