I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Bi-Cutter
Posted by: Jack Burton (---.cvx9-bradley.dialup.earthlink.net)
Date: November 13, 2004 08:21PM

Does anyone know where I can buy a bi-cutter? Its a graphic design tool that allows you to cut parallel lines. I need one so I can cut same size trim rings. The tip is like 2 exacto blades on a circle that is fully adjustable by a screw. Thanks if you can help me.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Bi-Cutter
Posted by: William Colby (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: November 13, 2004 08:33PM

Hobby Lobby has them. Or they did last time I checked.

But there is a better way to cut identical trim rings. I only say this as I've tried the bi-cutter and didn't find that it worked very well or as well as I had thought it would.

Do you have the Rodmaker issue on basic EVA grip inlays?? If you measure the width ring you want and put a piece of tape at the edge of the measurement and then set the grip piece spinning in the lathe, you can draw a piece of size D thread between your hands and lower it down into the grip at the tape edge and it will cut the EVA piece like butter. This is WAY quicker and easier than the bi-cutter. With a little practice you can even knock out 1/8 th inch trim rings with any measuring. You can actually eyeball them and knock them out one after another in mere seconds.

Posted by: Harv Gorton (---.penn.com)
Date: November 13, 2004 08:37PM

Glue 2 X-Acto blades on opposite sides of a craft stick..glue 2 sticks together..glue blades on the 2 outside edges...repeat with 3 sticks....you now have a set of 'bi cutters'. Use these to cut just deep enough to mark the EVA( do not cut all the way to the mandrel)..then use thread ,or dacron casting line ,to do the cutting apart of the rings.

Posted by: Harv Gorton (---.penn.com)
Date: November 13, 2004 08:39PM

use 5 min. epoxy to glue this stuff. Also,hold the thread with pliers..do NOT wrap the thread around your finger !

Date: November 13, 2004 09:13PM

I do use the thread when Im cutting EVA, but I want to try to cut burl cork with the bi-cutter. I have the jig from custom tackle, but it only cuts the ring in half, I want them in 1/4s. I thought maybe the bi-cutter would get me what I needed. What I have been doing is taking the checkerboard/diamond jig and using that. When you put a ring into the jig, there is a lip at the top. I put another ring there and cut flush with the top of the jig. I works, but a lot of times one side of the slice is a little higher than the other because of the motion of the blade. I just figured a bi-cutter would do it perfectly. Thanks again.

Posted by: William Colby (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: November 13, 2004 09:24PM

The bi-cutter is poor at cutting cork. You'll burn the cork before you get it cut all the way through.

Take the custom tackle jig and have a machine shop slice an additional slot in it at the 1/4" mark. Then you can cut them in half or 1/4", whatever you like.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: November 13, 2004 09:46PM

Buy some washers about 1" in diameter. Just stick one (or a few) in the jig before you put the cork ring in. You can slice them as thin as you want.by changing the number of washers you use

Mike

Date: November 13, 2004 10:00PM

Thanks a lot Mike., I never thought about that. Awesome.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 13, 2004 10:55PM

Bi Cutter @#$%&. IT wanders, vibrates, doesn't cut clean. Better to use it as a template - start teh cut, then use some other cutter, my preference would be a Xtra Fine tooth saw sold by Exacto to finish up the cut.

With EVA - just make a million skinny trim rings and match up thos with qual width. After doing 2 or 3 you should be able to cut them the same width by eye.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster