I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

FAOL Article - Custom vs Factory Built Rods
Posted by: Steve Cole (---.ca-sanfranc0.sa.earthlink.net)
Date: November 13, 2004 06:06PM

Some folks may be interested in this opinion piece written by Jim Birkholm, the editor at Fly Anglers Online (http://@#$%&/) under the pen name of "J. Castwell". He makes it pretty clear that, in his opinion, factory built rods are without-a-doubt superior to custom built sticks. I disagree but when I tried to set him straight on a couple of things he deleted my post. If you read the article, he is using an ad that I ran in their classified section to try to make the case for there being no resale value for custom built rods. Click on the "J. Castwell" on the left side menu to view the article.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: FAOL Article - Custom vs Factory Built Rods
Posted by: John Dow (---.snet.net)
Date: November 13, 2004 06:47PM

Steve , I read that "oppinion" the other day . I was not impressed on his take on custom rods . If you read on the board, there is a thread in response to it , with quite a few opposite oppinions . I personaly think it was intended to "stirr the pot" if you will between rodbuilders , and those who don't . Take it for what it's worth , I didn't think his offerings of the down side of custom rods was of any merrit .
John

Posted by: William Colby (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: November 13, 2004 08:15PM

Also keep in mind that most of the companies that sponsor his site are commercial rod operations. He isn't exactly guilty of being unbiased.

We all know that not all custom rods are created equal. We also know that the best custom rods are better than the best factory rods just as the best custom furniture or the best custom knives or guns are better than the best commercial variety of those items. But there are only a small percentage who can appreciate that fact.

Mr. Castwell may not be in the class of fishermen who can discern the differences between the best custom rods and the best factory rods. You really can't hold that against him.

Posted by: Johnathan Sams (---.65-104.adsl.ij.net)
Date: November 13, 2004 08:49PM

LOL!!! When was the last time anybody bought a rod based on resale value??!! I've got news for J. Castwell, there are no graphite rods that appreciate in value. A used Sage or used Winston does not bring very much money. The few factory rods I do own were all bought used and for about 1/2 to just 1/3 what their owners had paid for them a year earlier!

This may tee off a lot of people here but I will say that there are lots of custom rods out there and many of them aren't very good. They're just factory copies. But once you get your hands on a really good custom rod there is no comparison to any factory rod. J. Castwell just hasn't fished a really good custom rod yet. Or like William says, he's protecting the interests of his sponsors.

I wonder if J. Castwell would say that a factory Remington or Winchester will shoot as tight a group as any of the well known custom target rifles will?

Posted by: Danny Bundy (---.69-93-60.reverse.theplanet.com)
Date: November 13, 2004 09:03PM

I would bet that there are a handful of builders on this very site that can command more money for their fly rods both retail and resale than can Sage, Scott, Winston, T&T or Loomis. I guess Castwell either isn't aware of that or just overlooked it.

I'm a serious fisherman and a decent rod builder. Not the best by any means but I can build a much better rod than I can buy. My customers seem to agree with me and most of them have owned the big name factory rods in the past. They got tired of loose reel seats, crooked guides and fighting butts falling off their $600 rods. Craftsmen? Give me a break. I've been to no less than 4 of the major rod companies and seen how they build rods. Common day labors sitting around a glue pot shimming parts with tape. Craftsmen? Nice people maybe but these aren't exactly craftsmen. Not that I am either, but I know what a craftsman is and you won't find them at many commercial rod factories.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.an3.nyc41.da.uu.net)
Date: November 13, 2004 11:20PM

Well said Danny

Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: November 13, 2004 11:45PM

J. Castwell's article didn't bother me one bit. I will continue to use rods that I build and so will my fishing buddies.

Posted by: Tim Rucker (---.columbus.rr.com)
Date: November 14, 2004 03:05AM

In response to the above replys regarding the article, I think that it indicates the magnitude of the impact that custom rodmakers, rodbuilding.org, and the Charlotte show must be having on the commercial builders.

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: November 14, 2004 04:05AM

I after reading Mr. Castwell article I saw a lot of humor in what he says. I my self believe after reading Mr. Castwell article, that he has never talked to a real custom rod builder. Number one a experienced rod builder always warrantees his work. Just like the mass produced rods that cost is included in the custom rod. Now don't get confused with cosmetics of a rod, cosmetics does not make a custom rod. What makes a custom is how it feels, casts and works a fish. As those of you how have been building rods for a few years know, no 2 blanks of the same model and series well act the same. It is the experienced rod designer that takes a blank and designs it to work a certain way even if that blank was not designed for that type of fishing. We all know that besides the blank the components that go on the blank is vary important in the design of a custom rod. Custom rod builder are changing the way manufactures now build some of there top end rods. I wish when a party makes comments like Mr. Castwell they would do a little research before condemning a specialized trade, like the custom rod builders. Also you must remember we are not in compition with the rod manufactures, we get our blanks from them. Just my 2 cents
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.an3.nyc41.da.uu.net)
Date: November 14, 2004 09:44AM

Just like any " Custom ", go buy a Harley, off the shlef - $20,000.00 - now have it Customized - they get up to $200,000.00 Go figure

Posted by: David Banaka (209.152.39.---)
Date: November 14, 2004 12:26PM

Very interesting article. I feel sorry for the guy LOL. He obviously does not have a clue so be it.

I would like to share this really quick. Me and my wife were taking a nice vacation for a few days over in Eastern Oregon (near Sisters). We walked through all of these nice shops and stumbled across a fly shop. Being a rod buildier for over 12 years of course I had to stop in and look around at some rods. I walked over to the Sage rack and picked up one of the rods. Not to my surprize, $680.00

I start looking at the craftmanship and attention to detail that went into this rod. First guide form the handle, size 10 and backwards. ALL of the Sage rods on the shelf were the same. Then I looked at the wraps or should I say gaps. They were terrible. Then the guides, Not straight. Spine? Yeah right!

Warranty? My reel seats do not come lose. The blanks I use back up there warranty as I do when a mishap occures.

Who is this guy.

Date: November 14, 2004 03:03PM

I made a ealier post and forgot to say Mr. Castwell has a right yo his opinion. We have all expressed our opinions on this topic. What it shows is all of us have to educate the public about the advantages of a good custom rod. Like I said earlier it is not the cosmyics that make a custom rod, it is how the rod was designed. Educating the public is the best way to sell a custom rod. If you think that those professional Bass fishermen are using off the wall products think again. These guys have a lot of input on the products they are using, which the manucture takes inconsideration when building their products. .
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: John Launstein (---.cg.shawcable.net)
Date: November 14, 2004 07:22PM

Just chimed in on Christian's post to "advertisers" re: this article, but thought I should here, too.

FYI, Jim (J Castwell) is a VERY accomplished caster and fly fisher. He certainly knows the difference between an outstanding performing rod and a typical lower-end factory rod. After spending an afternoon casting with him in February, I think it's safe for me to say he's particularly partial to Gatti's--which only speaks of his ability to properly judge a good rod!

Can't say I read his article and said "Preach it, brother!" ;) but I also know JC writes with tongue-firmly-in-cheek most times, and there were points where I suspected he was grinning while writing. If his intent was to "stir the pot", he's certainly done a good job! ;) And, in fact, he makes some legitimate points if one reads what he wrote and not just with a reaction of feeling personally attacked. He also makes some points that many of us here would certainly take exception to.

All things being said, the vast majority of the users of this forum know there is indeed a significant difference between a properly crafted custom rod and the rods the production companies produce. There is, as Tom K. pointed out in his response at FAOL, also a need and market for both, for which I am personally grateful! :)

John

Rocky Mountain

Posted by: John Launstein (---.cg.shawcable.net)
Date: November 14, 2004 08:26PM

Hey--FYI: just posted an alternate perspective to JC's at @#$%& under "Custom vs. Production Rods".

John

G&L FlyCraft

and

Rocky Mountain

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.longhl01.md.comcast.net)
Date: November 14, 2004 08:51PM

John L.
Very well written and nicely balanced response on FAOL.

Date: November 15, 2004 01:39AM

Hey guys slow up!! I emailed Mr. Castwell asking why he was down on custom rod builders this is his wife's responce.
Dear Bob,
Appreciate your comments. Yes, we have been well versed on how fly rods are designed and produced. I was the first woman on the G. Loomis Pro Staff and have been through every part of their plant. We live 8 miles from Sage and have also been through their production facility. We also were given the honor of a tour through the now closed Rain Shadow plant in Sequim.

JC's article was not, repeat, was NOT about professional rod builders. It was directed at the guy who is considering building his first rod himself. That's it.

JC HAS designed rods professionally; you've unfortunately made some assumptions which are not true. We've been around fly fishing for over 50 years, each. We have good friends who are custom rod builders, know most of the companies and a great share of the cane builders as well.

We know there are very good professional rod builders out there - but we also know of more than one who passes themselves off as "custom rod builders" who don't know how to put a handle/grip on a fly rod. Rods sure looked great though until the handles fell off as the rod was cast. Four of those that we know of from the same 'builder'.

I'm sure you are totally professional in your dealings, which is terrific. The article was not aimed at you.

Regards,
Deanna Birkholm (LadyFisher)
Publisher, Fly Anglers OnLine
[]
360-697-3905
I hope this puts some light on the subject. I think if we had done some research we may have had a differnt opinion of Mr. Brinkholm. Even if his artical seamed one sided and not professional. I get that way at times even on the building sites when I am excited. An send out a message that is full of type O's
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Christian Brink (---.dsl.aracnet.com)
Date: November 15, 2004 02:20AM

Bob -

There is no need to cross post.

I replied to your comment on the more current thread.

Christian

Date: November 15, 2004 04:22AM

Good point Christian. Go back to the other thread and see my comment
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Edwin Kime (---.ks.ok.cox.net)
Date: November 15, 2004 09:04AM

I think they have really missed the point with the article. Americans are always changing customizing things. They customized the rifles they brought from Europe. They customized the cars that was sold to them even though they cannot return them to the dealers. Custom rods is no different. If you are a beginner or an experianced rod builder. Their is no reason not to build a custom rod. Every rod builder has to have a first rod. It may not be the best but it is their hand made rod. Why would anybody want to tell them not to start building rods? What kind of person would do that? Maybe they can never sell the rod or trade the rod or would not want to ever sell it because it their work of art. It may never match the ones made by others but it does not matter because it is their rod hand made by them. Their may be some people that make rods for sale that are not up to the standard you want as well as some factory rods that do not preform like they should. However to tell somebody not to build rods because others do it better is really a sad affair. It seems to come from somebody that has more time and money than knowledge about people and their skills. They seem to be the same type of people that would tell Grandma Moses not to paint because others do it better.

Date: November 16, 2004 03:20AM

Humm I don't think anyone was telling others not to build rods. What I read, is learn the craft of rod designing before you tell the world you build custom rods and not copy cat rods. Who would want to sell a custom rod that was made for a certain party to a differnt party.
Good Wraps Bob

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster