I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Seat Insert dimensions
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: November 13, 2004 11:36AM

Judging from the number of people (including me) that are starting to turn real seats, I think that a list of dimensions that are needed for the various skeleton seats would be very helpful. For instance, how long would the barrel need to be for a size 16, 17, etc need to be, what diameter?. How long would the stepped down parts on the ends need to be and what diameter would they need to be? If the various brands of seats are different, what would the dimensions be for a particular brand.

The same info for various fly reel sears would be helpful also.

I would be glad to compile all of this info into a spread sheet and make it available to everyone or even possibly post the info on a web site.

Any info that you would care to e-mail me with would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Mike
mbarkley@wowway.com

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Seat Insert dimensions
Posted by: William Colby (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: November 13, 2004 01:26PM

The length is always going to be about the same due to the length of most reel feet. Main barrel length needs to be 40 to 44mm long. Any longer and you may not be able to turn the locking seat down far enough to grasp the reel foot.

The shoulder diameter will vary seat model to seat model and I agree that a spread sheet of all the various makes and models would be helpful.

Posted by: Ted Morgan (---.nyc.rr.com)
Date: November 13, 2004 02:46PM

The barrel length can vary too, depending on the size reel that you are using. This is especially apparent in spinning reels. Foot width doesn't vary much, but length does. I like to trim my seats down to exactly match a particular reel, if the rod is only going to be used with that reel.

Set the moving hood on the threads so that just a couple of threads lie outside the hood. Set the hoods on the reel foot, and measure b/w the threads and fixed hood. Like I said, works best for a single reel. Going up in reel size shouldn't present a problem, but if a smaller reel foot is to fit, set the moving hood a few threads higher, then measure.

Trimming the seat threads is definitely a move for a single reel setup. You have to allow space for the hood to clear the reel foot for easy removal, then cut a couple of threads above the nut.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.152.54.84.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: November 13, 2004 04:08PM

Most reel feet, from offshore big game reels to the smallest freshwater ultra-light reels, have similar sized feet. I'd have to get out a few and measure them, but they're going to all be within a few milimeters of one another.

In my own experience, any seat barrel longer than 40mm can run you into trouble with the moving hood not being able to cinch down far enough on some reel feet. Don't make the barrel too long.

Posted by: Andy Dear (---.dsl.snantx.swbell.net)
Date: November 13, 2004 06:57PM

42mm is the length I use for everything. Fits perfect everytime.

Andy Dear
Lamar Reel Seats
www.lamarreelseats.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster