I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Ok, you convinced me - ceramic guides
Posted by: Michael Hackney (---.ma.charter.com)
Date: November 12, 2004 10:31AM

the other day I had some questions about guide placement and finding the spine in my 9' 4 piece 8wt H&H IM6 blank. Well, that is all behind me now! Doing the static guide placement was not too difficult. However, many people responded on the group and in private email that I should go with ceramic guides on this rod (primarily intended for salt). So, after doing some research I think the Fuji Alconites are the right balance of cost and performance. I also want chrome frames since my seat is polished aluminum and the rod is a really nice dark green. The Fuji CLAG seems to be the right choice for running guides. What do folks recommend for:

- tiptop: (size)
- what size running guides (I will probably want to use one of the 8wt multitip lines at some point)
- how many and what stripers?

thanks!
Michael

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Ok, you convinced me - ceramic guides
Posted by: Jud Tussing (---.wma.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 12, 2004 10:43AM

I built two 7 weights last year using ceramics and am planning on building an 8wt shortly. I would go a sz16 stripper, a 12 line tamer, and then run it out with size 8's and an 8 tip top. Anything smaller and you might have trouble passing line to leader looped connections. Just my .02 Good luck.

Date: November 12, 2004 10:53AM

thanks Jud. That is basically what I was thinking too. And it has the added advantage that I already have the 12 and 16 (both double foot). For the tiptop - should I just use an 8 running guide or are there chrome ceramic tiptops out there that I should consider?

cheers,
Michael

Posted by: Don Davis (199.173.224.---)
Date: November 12, 2004 11:02AM

Michael. You need an unbraced tip top. American tackle makes some.

Posted by: Bret Rahe (---.com)
Date: November 12, 2004 11:54AM

Fuji makes a chrome tiptip with alconite ring that will match the guides you're using. Model CFAT if I recall correctly. They are braced and are what I tend to use on heavier flyrods, including 8wts.

Posted by: Keith Tymchuk (198.237.218.---)
Date: November 12, 2004 12:34PM

Is there a difference in strength between braced and unbraced ceramic tip tops on a 7 wt rod?

I like the smooth lines of the unbraced look. I'm assuming that there isn't much difference in strength.....

What do you think? Dont mean to jack this thread...but thought now would be the time to ask?

Keith

Posted by: Bret Rahe (---.ch2m.com)
Date: November 12, 2004 01:08PM

I think they add some strength to the tip. I'm the opposite, I tend to like the way the braced tips loo versus the unbraced.

Posted by: John Dow (---.snet.net)
Date: November 12, 2004 01:39PM

Alconites are the best for the money in my book , 16 , 12 , 8s , or 7s the rest of the way depending on the knots you will be using .......now you got it. JD

Posted by: Mike Klein (65.241.225.---)
Date: November 12, 2004 03:44PM

I would agree that using size 7 guides/tip top as a minimum because I built a 7 weight last year with #6 fuji alconites and while it casts beautifully and very smooth, the line-to-butt section of leader joint can get hung up from time to time. It also forces me to make blood knots where joining my sections of leader together. That's OK most of the time except in cold weather when my numb fingers just want to tie a surgeons knot and be done with it!

Date: November 12, 2004 09:33PM

ok, i am going to go with the size 8 guides. Now I just need to sort out the tip top. My blank has a 4.5mm tip. The Fuji ceramic tip (CFAT) comes in 7/4.5mm and the size 8 has 5.0mm as its smallest diameter. The AmerTack (SCUT) also comes in an 8/5.0mm. What to do? Or the other option of using a size 8 SF guide as the tip top.

thanks,
Michael

Posted by: William Colby (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: November 12, 2004 10:07PM

I always use a single foot guide as a tip top. That way you have the same ring, same heigh and same angle as the guides. The tops really don't match the guides if you look closely.

Posted by: John Dow (---.snet.net)
Date: November 12, 2004 10:13PM

Michal , If it were me , I would get both of them , sizing differs on the tubes slightly and if the 8/5.0 is too big you can wrap size A thread , or silk thread under it to take up the space . wrapping a SF guide is another option , I've personaly have never wrapped a guide on as a top , but it's a common practice here . JD

Date: November 17, 2004 09:55PM

Well, my new ceramic single foot guides came in today! Unfortunately, I am going away until after Thanksgiving so I won't have any time to work on the rod until I get back! Oh well, good things come to those who wait, they say.

cheers and thanks for the help,
Michael

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster