I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Titanium Finished Guides
Posted by: Chris Chick (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 11, 2004 10:53PM

Am looking for some tianium finsihed guides to be used for the stripping guides on a fly rod. Using the Struble tianium seat and some H&H titanium finsihed snake guided.

Was hoping to find some double footed strippers in the 25, 20, 16 & 12 sizes to match.

Any feedback greatly appreciated.

thanks,

chris

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Titanium Finished Guides
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: November 12, 2004 12:11AM

The Forecast LTCVDCG or LTCUDCG lightTi/TiCH Zirconia Ring guides I've used match the U22 all titanium reelseats pretty well. They are just a little darker. The Am Tack guides I have appear to be the same color frames, but I think they appear a little lighter when combined with darker rings like the blues or blacks.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.152.54.41.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: November 12, 2004 08:37AM

Fuji makes solid titanium alloy guides, and American Tackle will soon unveil their own solid titanium alloy guides as well.

Posted by: Tom S. Brown (---.olypen.com)
Date: November 12, 2004 09:50AM

Oops, first post has my old e-mail address, if you have questions e-mail me at tom@fishpacbay.com

Tom

Date: November 12, 2004 10:06AM

Hi Chris,

Pacific Bay has TiCH frames in the style you are looking for, we offer them with SiC rings, Zirconia w/TiCH finish, TiN finish (gold), or Hialoy. They are also offerred with our new TiBLUE rings.

The finish on all of the above guide series are applied using a PVD (Particle Vapor Deposit) process to create one of the most durable guides on the market.

Please contact me if you would like more information.

Tom S. Brown
Pacific Bay International

Date: November 12, 2004 11:18AM

Chris,

It's hard to post when you are still sleeping; definition of PVD should read Physical Vapor Deposit, not "Particle". Sorry for the typo.

Tom

(Thanks T.M. for pointing out my oops!)

Posted by: Charlie Smoote (---.dialup.mindspring.com)
Date: November 12, 2004 12:56PM

While we're on the subject of Titanium guides, I have a question:

I took this rod in for repair with a 'Titanium Guide System' as the decal states, on the rod blank. on the rod. The guides look like wire. What are they and where do I get replacements? TIA. C2

Date: November 12, 2004 01:29PM

Hi Charlie,

What brand is the rod? If you let me know I might be able to tell you what guides they are.

Tom

Posted by: steve runyan (---.palmer.mtaonline.net)
Date: November 13, 2004 02:15PM

Chris,

Just some props for what Tom is saying. I order a lot of my parts from PacBay, and the guides are very high quality, and the customer service is great. LCTVSG25, LCTVSG20, etc will be the order numbers for a light tic frame with silicon carbide insert.

Tight Lines,
Steve

Posted by: Chris Chick (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 13, 2004 05:37PM

Thanks for all the input guys.

Looks like titanium finishes are just starting to come into their own.

Solid titanium frames can't be cheap??

chris

Posted by: Mike Tan (---.156ce.maxonline.com.sg)
Date: November 14, 2004 04:45AM

If you want Ti guides for its flexibility and lightness, go for it. However please bear in mind that Fuji Ti guides WILL rust/corrode if not looked after properly. Some of the Ti guides on two of my rods had rust stains on them after a 4 day offshore fishing trip.

Posted by: Mark B. Gonsalves (---.or4.marketscore.com)
Date: November 14, 2004 10:05PM

My experiences with Fuji titanium guides go like this, 15+ years-used and abused, smashed and neglected. No signs of rust or corrosion after all this heavy use. I usually rinse my guides off with fresh water after each use but have also not washed 1 of my rods for quite a few years with no ill effects from the salt water I fish in. Aloha. Mark

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster