I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Frustrated
Posted by: Steve Pratt (---.uhaul.com)
Date: November 11, 2004 05:43PM

I finished my first buttrap last night, an 8 axis chevron, and was very happy with the looks. I CP'd it, waited about 2 hours to let it dry and then put on a coat of finish and left it turn overnight. When I got up this morning to inspect it, it looks ok, but feels like sandpaper. I used a little heat to pop the bubbles like I normally do, so I don't know what happened. I'll try to apply another coat tonight and see if it evens out.
What happened? Any ideas?
Thanks again

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Frustrated
Posted by: Chris Catignani (---.vitalchek.com)
Date: November 11, 2004 05:59PM

I find that it takes two or three coats to get it.

Hang in there.

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: November 11, 2004 06:12PM

Which brands of CP and finish did you use? Was it the same brands & routine for application as at other times when you did your guides?
With that much thread, maybe the CP needed more time to dry before covering with finish.

Posted by: Steve Pratt (---.uhaul.com)
Date: November 11, 2004 06:55PM

Both parts were Flex coat, and I did everything as I usually do. The CP felt dry, so I went ahead.

Posted by: Gerald McCasland (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: November 11, 2004 07:12PM

I don't know what might have happened to you, but if I was a betting man I would put my money on the CP not being dry as two hours is not very long for that much thread saturated to fully dry. I never put finish o n a butt wrap that has been saturated with CP until it has dried for 12 hours.

Like I said, just a bet.

Later,
Gerald Mc

Posted by: John Dow (---.60.169.135.adsl.snet.net)
Date: November 11, 2004 08:22PM

Sorry to say , but I'm with Gerald , let it dry for a night .You should be OK after a couple of more coats of epoxy . John

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: November 12, 2004 05:30AM

Flex Coat Color Preserver is a water-based carrier of the acrylic solids that fill the thread and keep out the final finish so that the thread doesn't turn translucent when you apply the final finish. Water evaporates more slowly than the organic solvent carriers in the clear brands of CP. So, keep that in mind with butt wraps that have a lot of thread and go with a longer drying time, like 12 - 16 hours, if not 24 hrs for the milky FC-CP.
The next coat or two should get you where you want with the final finish. Sounds like a nice pattern. If you post a picture, give a shout, I'd love to see it. - Best wishes, -Cliff Hall.

Posted by: Doug Moore (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: November 12, 2004 09:23AM

I've never had to wait any longer than 2 - 4 hrs. to apply finish to CP coated thread...Never had a problem. Never waited any longer to finish over decals either. JM .02 cents.

Regards

Posted by: Gerald McCasland (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: November 12, 2004 09:29AM

What about on butt wraps where there is several layers of thread?

Later,
Gerald Mc

Posted by: Doug Moore (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: November 12, 2004 09:51AM

Gerald, I've always gone by the touch method. If It feels dry, then it is dry.

Maybe, I take for granted that I work inside my home, where the temp and humidity are constantly controlled. I know alot of the guys/gals work in their garage or shop and are constantly at the mercy of the elements. That may make a big difference.

Regards

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster