I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

SW 9'9wt fly rod building: I was told to put the second stripper 10 cm away from the first one?!
Posted by: Serge Thomas (---.fiu.edu)
Date: March 01, 2002 02:03PM

Hello,
I am building a 9'9wt fly rod with a 57 3 pieces Msi blank (tip over ferrule blank). I use 2 strippers Alconite guide 20mm and 16mm plus 1 10mm single foot ringed alconite and 7 8 mm single foot ringed alconite (and one tip top 8 mm aclonite).
I was told to put the second stripper at 10 cm from the first one? I can beleive that this is better for the shootability of the flyline but could you explain me why and give me a link where to find the article related to this way of placing the strippers?
Moreover, I would like to remove 1 8 mm single foot ringed alconite guide. I know that there is one specific spacing chart for each specific blank and that noi general guide spacing can be provided, but could you give me an example of spacing chart of a 9 feet rod with 10 guides in total?
What is for you the best distance I should place the first stripper? I have a 3 pieces fly rod and I put the first stripper at the butt section of the second piece of the blank (to save the weight of 1 wrapping) but I found after having casted the rod that it was too far...
Thank you for the help!
Serge

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: SW 9'9wt fly rod building: I was told to put the second stripper 10 cm away from the first one?!
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialsprint.net)
Date: March 01, 2002 02:22PM

First, there are no specific spacing charts for specific blanks. Only generic charts which serve as a general "catch-all" for blanks. They will work okay, but rarely are they optimum for any blank.

The "second stripper" should actually read "additional stripper" as it does not take the place of the second one. It is placed in addition to your regular guide set up and about 4 inches ahead of the first stripper. It should be sized the same as the second stripping guide.

Finally let me say that I realize that fly rods actually only have one stripping guide. But in keeping with the terminology that most use, any two footed ringed guide is called a stripping guide.

Sounds about right
Posted by: Rich Garbowski (---.voyageur.ca)
Date: March 01, 2002 03:17PM

10 cm or 4" is about the same.

The terminology, some would more accurately say the 'second stripper' is actually the first collector guide. Whatever it's called, the purpose is for better line handling, and this distance placement seems to be optimal for a 9' fly blank , and really for any wt. line.

Do the test casting before finishing the guide, see if it makes a difference and you like it. If not remove it and go back without it.
There probably is no set chart out there to tell you to do this.

Let's just consider it a 'W E L L K E P T S E C R E T' among informed custom rodbuilders. And don't tell anyone I said this. LOL

Rich
Richard's Rod & Reel

Re: Sounds about right
Posted by: Bill Moschler (---.ag.utk.edu)
Date: March 01, 2002 05:52PM

I can not explain why, but as soon as you try it you will see the advantage. Watch how the line comes out of the second guide so smoothly. When the line comes through the first stripper it has big oscillations and the second guide catches them and smooths them before they develop into loops large enough to hit the rod.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialsprint.net)
Date: March 01, 2002 06:06PM

Some tests are being done right now on a new type of guide that will do the same job as these two, the stripping guide and the additional guide 4 inches past the stripper, are doing now.

If things pan out you could install the just the one and get the same benefit automatically. Of course, the guide looks a bit odd, but so does the additional guide so close to the stripper now. In time, however, it could become the norm.

Posted by: John Burford (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: March 01, 2002 06:50PM

gee rich thanks for letting the cat out of the bag what you going to tell him next. that flex coat lite is half as thick as reg flex coat ... or that single band trim wraps look awesome in a metallic color next to earth tones ...... John T Burford aka
Tightline Rod's

Funny Thing
Posted by: Bob Petti (---.stny.rr.com)
Date: March 01, 2002 07:08PM

This topic came up in a FFing discussion group recently (and does periodically and repeatedly).

I'm not convinced the 2nd stripper does much in the hands of a good caster. As a friend (FFF certified casting instructor and former competitor in casting competitions) recently said (paraphrasing), "If it made a difference, you'd see it on the tournament circuit. All the tournament casters have tried it, and none use such a setup in competition. That pretty much tells me what I need to know."

I guess I'll just have to test it myself. It could be the double stripper helps those of us who don't feed the line smoothly into the cast.

As Tom says so often "Test, test, test", and then decide for yourself.

Bob

Re: Funny Thing
Posted by: Brian Thompson (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 01, 2002 08:17PM

I'm not surprised but then we have to realize that most of us are not building for tournament casters. If the average guy sees some benefit from it then it's probably worthwhile.

I also can't say that the tournament boys really know as much about their equipment as everyone thinks they do. When I built my first spiral wrapped rods I was told that if it was any good then the tournament circuit boys would already be using it! Well they're not, but we know it's better. Same thing with the double stripper. Don't be surprised if some of the tournament casting boys eventually make the switch.

It's the custom rod builders who are leading the way. Not the pros, the tournament casters or fishermen or the advertisers!

Posted by: Dwayne Rye (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: March 01, 2002 10:54PM

Here Here..

Posted by: Rich Garbowski (---.voyageur.ca)
Date: March 01, 2002 11:17PM

Tongue in cheek about the idea of being so 'secret' with the idea of the second stripper. Not something likely to be seen except on a custom built rod, but the test casting can't be emphasized enough for personal acceptance of this. I'm not a tournament fly caster to be sure, but Brian brings up a good point about tournament angler's probably relying more on the knowledge of custom builders than is thought. They are more involved with the 'use' of the equipment more than spending time in making it or studying the equipment makeup itself. It's doubtful that the 'double stripper' setup will necessarily increase distance for tournament casters, but then again it might benefit for line handling. Again, test...test...test..

Rich

Posted by: Dick Thurston (---.midtn.chartertn.net)
Date: March 02, 2002 08:51AM

In my opinion, the additional stripper never hurts and sometimes helps. I use on all fly rods I build.

Posted by: Frank Moore (---.transedge.com)
Date: March 02, 2002 10:10AM

Serge, you've received a lot of good advise for determining where to place the collector/stripper/additional guide. And along with that the most important advice of test, test and test. If you are interested in further explanation of how and why the extra guide works, you can read about it a book by Don Phillips, "The technology of Fly Rods." Don is a former rod designer and engineer that worked extensively with boron for one of the large chemical companies. As stated Don was a engineer - about the only thing I did understand in his book was the portion about the additional stripping guide.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster