I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

first rod, some questions!
Posted by: Michael Hackney (---.ma.charter.com)
Date: November 11, 2004 07:08AM

Hi all! I've spent several weeks lurking here and reading about rod building and finally I've taken the plunge. For my first rod I thought I would build something for stripers up on the North Shore (north of Boston). I ended up going with a Hook & Hackle IM6 (really nice dark green blank) 9' 4 piece 8wt. So now of course the questions start coming!

Question 1: I've looked through the FAQs, posts and Library here and other sites and can not find guide locations for this blank. I have 2 stripping guides and 8 double foot snake guides. The closest location chart I could find is a 9' 4 piece 5 wt on another site.

I plan to wrap in 2 colors - primary is dark green with a spring green accent wrap. I practiced wrapping on some old carbon fiber tube that i use for my RC helicopter and airplane hobby so I think I have the wrapping under control.

Probably the next question will be on spline location. From the reading I've done, it seems that it is more difficult as the # of rod segments increases - so of course I had to choose a 4 piece rod as my first!

Thanks in advance!
Michael

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: first rod, some questions!
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.an3.nyc41.da.uu.net)
Date: November 11, 2004 07:15AM

Read the Faq's page and the Library page up in the black section. This has good info on guide placement and finding the spine - Welcome

Date: November 11, 2004 07:32AM

Thanks Bill. I have read those pages. I was hoping to find something a little more definative!

cheers,
Michael

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.an3.nyc41.da.uu.net)
Date: November 11, 2004 07:41AM

A lot of the sponcers on this page have charts. I usually go to St Croix's site and start with there spacings. Remember this is only a " starting point " and the static test will tell you where the guides should be. On light rods I usually start the first guide from the tip at 4" then add an inch as I go down the blank. Just to start

Posted by: William Colby (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: November 11, 2004 08:04AM

Tom Kirkman's book, Rod Building Guide, would have the answers to most of your questions.

We're not avoiding your questions here but they're so general and so basic that you appear to need to some good starter info first and that book or one of the others would be a good place to start.

There are no guide "locations" for that or any blank. You find those by static distribution. Learn to do it right on the first one and you'll find the rest a breeze in the future.

Date: November 11, 2004 08:10AM

thanks William. I actually do have Garcia's book "Handcrafting a Graphite Fly Rod" but it doesn't have much info on placement on 4 piece blanks. I think that is my only hangup. I reread the static placement document in the library and a spreadsheet calculator - so I'll use that as a starting point and do the static placement.

In thinking about it, that does make the most sense - I wanted a custom rod after all!

thanks,
Michael

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: November 11, 2004 08:17AM

I'm no fly rod fisherman, but are you sure you don't want to try ceramic ring guides on such a heavy weight fly rod? If you SEARCH = RING + SNAKE, you can access some opinions from those who live & breath that stuff. - Just my sidelines opinion, -Cliff Hall .

8. Re: fly rod snake guides or single foot guides??? Andrew White 10-22-04
I was skeptical at first, building my first few fly rods with single foot wire guides. Then, I tried the ceramic single foot guides, and I haven't gone back. Even the relatively inexpensive Alconite

9. Re: fly rod snake guides or single foot guides??? Bill Moschler 10-22-04
Single foot ceramics for me. Everytime I fish my rods with snakes after about 30 min I start wondering why I brought that one. In many subtle ways the ceramics just make fishing a little easier.

11. Re: fly rod snake guides or single foot guides??? Tom Kirkman 10-21-04
I use only ceramic guides and determine the number of feet by what kind of use the rod will see. As far as what looks "right," I don't think you can object to single footed guides and not

15. Re: The Best Guides For Saltwater Bret Rahe 10-14-04
I would forget the snakes and go with Fuji Titanium alloy frames with either SiC or Gold Cermet rings. Ti alloy will be the most corrosion resistant.

21. Re: rings Bryan Ion 09-24-04 -Thanks for the reply , I was taught to build using snakes but a couple of my loomis rods have single leg rings and my sages have snakes so I wasnt sure which way to go ,but thanks to you guys a Forum: rodboard

22. Re: rings Tom Kirkman 09-24-04 -- You can do a search on this site and turn up tons of information on that very subject. I would not put a snake guide on a fly rod, opting instead to use only ceramics for the past 25 years ....

23. rings Bryan M Ion 09-24-04 -- Hi I am in the process of building a 9ft #6 glx and wondering what other rodbuilders views were of snake rings against the single leg rings, Bryan

31. Re: Ceramic strippers and tip for 8wt fly Doug Weber 08-16-04 -- Ryan: Glad to see that you are planning to use ceramic ring guides for your 8 weight instead of snakes. You will like the way that they cast.

Posted by: Vance Corbett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 11, 2004 08:17AM

Mike: Guide placement is an interesting drill. Some folks take a scientific approach (there's a formula... mathematical progression.... like fret placement on a fretted instrument); others adopt the less- scientific LRTM formula ("looks right to me"). There must be a dozen guide placement charts on the net, and they vary widely re. placement and guide sizing. Some of the rod building books also provide charts. Be forewarned: some of these charts give little consideration to the number of blank sections, so lay out work is important (taping or temporarily gluing the guides to the blank to make sure the spacing protocol won't place a guide on a ferrule joint.) The reason no one can provide more definitive guidance is because there isn't any. There are general guidelines but no absolute rules. Even if you use the Dale Clemens formula, you may have to make some adjustments. (Buy the book or go to the bamboo rodmaking sites to review the formula). I think the folks at H&H have a recommended guide placement chart for your blank (in their printed catalog) and on line, too. (By the way, you bought a nice blank.) Spine/spline: Bill B. gives solid advice here. Reviewing the FAQ and the archives on this site is also my recommendation. Best Regards, Vance

Date: November 11, 2004 08:35AM

Thanks again all - I think I am all set. I was able to locate the spline on the top 3 sections. I'm going to use a guide placement I found and use the static placement instructions in the library to fine tune it.

Cliff, thanks for the input. I know this will not be my last rod so I decided to try to keep it relatively simple and on the inexpensive side. I wanted something I could get started in saltwater. Once I have a bit more experiance I'll put together a "real" salt rod.

Thanks all, I'm on my way.

Michael

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.152.54.124.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: November 11, 2004 08:59AM

Make sure you consult what the FAQs has to say about locating the spine on those stiff, short butt sections. That should help you as well.

Posted by: don davis (---.dyn.grandenetworks.net)
Date: November 11, 2004 09:42AM

Michael. As a rule of thumb always place a guide on the female ferrule. You have to put a reinforcing wrap there anyway. Once you place a guide on the ferrule, the distance between the other guides more or less takes care of itself. Use the static distribution to fine tune. Ditto on the ceramics, especially on your heavier weight blank. You can use the inexpensive ones for your first rod. If you must use wire, go single foot and save half the work.

Posted by: Rick Cae (---.sd.sd.cox.net)
Date: November 11, 2004 02:20PM

Michael,

I'm not sure this is what you are looking for, but Sage has a site that you can get measurements from. They use these on their production rods.

I have looked them up for you and this might get you into the ball park to start with. These are good for + or - 1/4 inch.

1. 3 9/16
2. 7 15/16
3. 13 3/16
4. 19 1/4
5. 27 1/4
6. 35 11/16
7. 44 11/16
8. 54 1/8
9. 65 7/16
10. 76 11/16

Hope this helps you.

Rick
RodsByRick

Posted by: Rick Case (---.sd.sd.cox.net)
Date: November 11, 2004 02:33PM

OOPS.

Can't get my fingers to work right. Can't even spell my own name

Rick
RodsByRick

Posted by: John Dow (204.60.208.---)
Date: November 11, 2004 02:47PM

Michael , you have made a good choice of blanks for your first rod , I've built 10-12 fly rods on H&H blanks . As for the guides , you should concider going to the incert single foot , as the others have suggested. The difference is like night and day . You already have two strippers , all you need to do is call Bob and order some guides to match , I'm sure he will be able to help you along .
If you do decide to use the snakes , it wont be long before you end up stripping them off for a re-wrap.........I think most of us have re-wrapped our first few rods more than once , that's part of the fun .
Good luck , it sounds like you've done your homework.
John

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster