I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

White cork rings
Posted by: Daryl Corbin (---.ras11.wasea-s.alerondial.net)
Date: November 10, 2004 07:22PM

Hello.I have been building rods for a couple years now and turn my own cork grips and never had a problem before with ordering cork, but just the other day I recieved a hundred cork rings from a sponser that I have ordered from before.When I opened the package I was a bit surprised to see these rings were a gray white color as aposed to the tan colored rings I've recieved before.Is there a way I can darken them? As they are they are very white like they've been bleached and kinda ugly but I hate to send them back but will if I have to.

Maybe I can slice them on my lathe for thin trim rings instead of the burl cork I use now?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Daryl

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: White cork rings
Posted by: Kevin Kresowaty (---.nwcspa.adelphia.net)
Date: November 10, 2004 07:26PM

Once you sand them down to shape they will show their normal color. The whiteness is only on or very near the surface.

Kevin

Posted by: William Colby (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: November 10, 2004 07:42PM

Most people prefer the bleached white rings. But as Kevin said, a little use and you won't know the difference.

Posted by: David Henney (---.ks.ok.cox.net)
Date: November 11, 2004 03:45AM

Sounds like they gave them a bath in flour to hide the pits. I have seen this done on a lot of cork. I dont know how much you paid for the cork but from some places only about 40 out of 100 are top quality rings, then another place I get rings they are hand picked and about 80 out of 100 are top quality rings. These rings need no filler for the pits.. But they are expensive and I buy them direct.. Thanks Dave

Posted by: Matt Davis (---.prtel.com)
Date: November 11, 2004 08:48AM

Sand the faces of those cork rings before you glue them up. If not every glue line will show as a white line.

I personally hate those rings. It's impossible to color match cork at that point. And to have to sand every face before you glue up is a real pain also.

Posted by: david schaub (---.hstqtx02.covad.net)
Date: November 11, 2004 10:31AM

I know exactly what rings you are talking about and I bet you got them from the same left hand source. We initially hated them but soon found out that the cork underneath was very good compared to what we normally got. I think they screwed up and sent us these rings instead of our normal order.
What has been done is the rings have been bleached. As noted, some people like this look. We do not. But we had no problem using them since we turn every handle on the lathe and the white bleached area disappeared into the dust. We did not have white line problems as Matt noted but I can see how that could work. I would do a quick face sand on each one before gluing.
Good luck,
Dave

Posted by: Daryl Corbin (---.ras11.wasea-s.alerondial.net)
Date: November 11, 2004 07:21PM

Thanks to all for you're replies. I got these at a pretty reasonable price and seem to be pretty decent cork, just white and it is on the surface.

Thanks,
Daryl

Posted by: Jack Burton (---.cvx11-bradley.dialup.earthlink.net)
Date: November 12, 2004 02:56PM

Also, you can darken them later with tru-oil, its a gun stock oil. Looks great.

Posted by: john channer (---.228.156.35.Dial1.Denver1.Level3.net)
Date: November 12, 2004 10:20PM

Toss them in a bucket full of hot water and some liquid dish soap and scrub them, the bleaching will disapear and you will be able to tell what they really look like. As was said, either sand them or wash them before glue up or you will likely wind up with white lines between the rings.
john

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster