I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Name Brands?
Posted by: Sean Walker (---.phxinternet.net)
Date: November 10, 2004 03:31PM

What makes a name brand (orvis, loomis, etc.) fly rod so expensive?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Name Brands?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.152.54.105.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: November 10, 2004 03:44PM

A couple of things. Smaller market, so any R&D must be spread out among a smaller number of rods. In many cases, there's a also bit higher level of technical innovation than, say, with Berkley, Garcia, etc. And.. most fly rod manufacturers have fair trade price policies which prohibit discounting.

Posted by: Rick Wilson (---.bms.com)
Date: November 10, 2004 03:47PM

Sean,
I would guess the cost reflects advertising, new product research, and last but not least, the cost of the "Lifetime Warrinty" (paying for customers' clumsiness)

rw

Date: November 10, 2004 04:10PM

Do they provide a product that is as much superior to others as their price indicates? I understand Lifetime Warranty.

Date: November 10, 2004 04:24PM

No, yes, sort of. We've arrived at a point where real technical innovation, particular with regard to materials, has slowed considerably. This was not the case in the mid to late 1980's and early 1990's.

I think it's more than fair to say that most $700 fly rods do not offer twice the performance of most $300 to $350 fly rods. In fact, they may not offer any appreciable performance difference to most anglers at this point.

Date: November 10, 2004 04:43PM

Would you say that is true even in their own product lines?

Date: November 10, 2004 04:51PM

Somewhat, yes. In fact some of the rod companies have had trouble justifying the cost difference between their mid-price and premium priced models. They normally try to use a higher grade of components on their higher price models as a way to justify at least some of the price difference.

We've reached the same point in rod blanks. Go back 10 or 15 years and a $35 fly rod blank was not very good, particularly when compared to the $100+ blanks. Now we've got $35 fly rod blanks that perform quite nicely even compared to the $100 models. The performance gap has closed by a considerable degree.

Date: November 10, 2004 05:03PM

Thanks

Posted by: Andrew White (66.204.20.---)
Date: November 11, 2004 12:19PM

Luckily, I stumbled into rod building right when the "cheap, but excellent" blanks were coming out. I've yet to pay more than $75 for a fly blank, despite the fact that the "name brand blanks" go for $200-400. In fact, I spend most of my time building on $20-50 blanks, looking for absolute gems. Almost all the rods I build on these blanks are highly functional fly rods that most fisherman wouldn't be able to tell from the $$$ blanks. But, some are just phenomenal, and I would guess, compare favorably to the truly high $$$ blanks.

Posted by: Corwin Kelm (---.69-92-cpe.cableone.net)
Date: November 11, 2004 09:24PM

I am a newbe and would like to know what brand names to look for and where to find good but inexpensive rod blanks. I want to learn with the inexpensive stuff and then who knows?

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.162.80.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: November 11, 2004 10:03PM

Batson's Forecast Imports The 2004 models

Posted by: Corwin Kelm (---.69-92-cpe.cableone.net)
Date: November 12, 2004 10:47AM

Thanks Bill, I am looking there and yes they are very reasonably priced. Any other suggestions from anyone? Your input is appreciated. Thanks

Posted by: Ricky Wilson (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: November 12, 2004 08:11PM

St Croix SCII. American made, great warranty, great performance and very little $$$. I won't buy foreign blanks when I can get as good or better for less coin.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster