I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Steelhead Sping Blank Questions
Posted by: Bob Petti (---.bluebird.ibm.com)
Date: November 10, 2004 07:57AM

Couple quick questions.

What is a good blank in the 9' 4-8lb range?

Also - what are folks using for guides in this style of rod?

Thanks.

Bob

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Steelhead Sping Blank Questions
Posted by: Grant Darby (---.sequimschools.wednet.edu)
Date: November 10, 2004 10:59AM

No question on this one for me...Rainshadow IST1081 for 4-8, but the IST1084 at 8-12 is one of my favorite steelhead rods. Built spiral with Forecast guides, 12, 10 in U frame and the rest single foot fly guides. For the spinning setup, the Forecast V frame guides are great, start with a 30 or 25 depending on the reel and use the Concept system for spacing. Forecast also has a Match type V frame spinning guide, it's a taller frame .

Posted by: Emory Harry (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: November 10, 2004 08:27PM

Bob,
I could not agree with Grant more. I have built several of the Rainshadow IST1081's and many of the IST1084's and think that they are excellent Steelhead blanks. I do not think that you will find better ones at any price.
What guides you use is a function of a number of things: are you setting the rod up as a casting or spinning rod, what kind of fishing are you planning; bobber and jig, casting hardware, normal drift fishing, plug fishing, etc. also what type of line are you planning to use? I think that we need a little more information about how you are planning to use the rod.

Posted by: Bob Petti (---.bluebird.ibm.com)
Date: November 11, 2004 07:01AM

I will be setting it up as a spin rod (not a "sping" rod, as the subject says, ha ha ha).

I will most often be dead drifting flies and occasionally bait in the Lake Ontario tribs.

Bob

Posted by: Rick Koontz (65.196.57.---)
Date: November 11, 2004 10:30AM

Bob,

Either the Rainshadow mentioned above or the comparable Rogue. Not sure about Rogue's situation with bankruptcy or whatnot, but the blank is awesome.

Thanks,
Rick

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster