I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Ocean - Speckled Trout Blank
Posted by: Brad Smith (---.midsouth.biz.rr.com)
Date: November 09, 2004 11:40AM

I have really gotten into surf fishing for Speckled trout. I would like to hear suggestions on a blank for this purpose. I am mostly using Mirror Lures. I believe they are 1/2 - 5/8 ounce. I would prefer a spinning setup. Thanks for your input.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Ocean - Speckled Trout Blank
Posted by: Authur Mercer (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 09, 2004 11:48AM

I would look at anybody's P844 type popping blank. Rainshadow, Loomis, Shakari and All Star all make similar popping blanks in the 7' fast action medium power categories. I think you'd be happy with something along these lines.

Posted by: Doug Moore (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: November 09, 2004 05:05PM

Brad,

Have made several spinning and casting rigs out of All Stars P844 and have not had one complant!

Regards

Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: November 09, 2004 07:26PM

If you are wading the surf, you might also look into the St. Croix blanks in the 6'8'' length. Tie one with a six to eight inch rear grip-awsome for working MirroLures. Look at the SCIII in that confirguration with an extra fast tip. The fast tip will cast a lure as far as you need to and has power to spare in the butt.

Post Removed
Posted by: Mike Kosiba (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 09, 2004 09:18PM

Post removed - invalid e-mail address

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.152.54.110.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: November 10, 2004 09:44AM

I would agree that the P844 type blanks are excellent. Do try for a fast action/taper which makes it easier to thrown the lighter end of the lure weight range yet preserves good power in the butt.

If you need a tad more distance, try a P904 for another 6 inches. I've used both of these in the Loomis IMX and GL3 versions and can't speak highly enough of them. I suspect that Shikari, All Star and Rainshadow all have similar models of course.

Posted by: Bret Rahe (---.com)
Date: November 11, 2004 11:31AM

One other type to mention are HotShot blanks. I routinely use these on the TX coast wading for trout and reds. Very fast tips with strong bottom ends. I use a Loomis IMX but I'm sure others make similar...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster