I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

level out epoxy
Posted by: warren mcconnaughie (---.mp.qub.ac.uk)
Date: November 09, 2004 10:51AM

I have to cover a large area on a blank , that covers a sticker and i would like some advise on how to keep the epoxy flat without brush marks. I was told that if i brush along the rod instead of round the rod this would help.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: level out epoxy
Posted by: Stan Grace (---.hln-mt.client.bresnan.net)
Date: November 09, 2004 11:02AM

Epoxy will level out on its own but it certainly doesn't hurt to apply it as level or as even as possible to begin with. Horizontal brush strokes help and I have found that applying with a broad even applicator such as a credit or playing card helps me obtain an even application. It is extremely important on the broad areas that your rod is level during the drying process and that you don't have an excessive amount of epoxy applied. The thinner low build epoxies are less forgiving than the heavier high build when youi are trying to apply just the right amount in my experience.

Posted by: George Thurston (---.faa.gov)
Date: November 09, 2004 01:18PM

"I was told that if i brush along the rod instead of round the rod this would help."

This will work. Put the flexcoat epoxy on thin and finish off w/ brush strokes parrell to the rod.

I've just started playing w/ using an artists spatula. It works, but more practice is needed. (similar to playing card trick of Stan's)

Posted by: Robert Widmaier (---.evrtwa1.dsl-verizon.net)
Date: November 09, 2004 05:00PM

Good advise in the above posts. I have had success with the procedure you have mentioned, that is, apply epoxy over the area to be covered and then brush slowly horizonal to the rod surface. I found that you can add too much epoxy so after applying epoxy to the entire area, I wipe most of the epoxy out of my brush before I begin brushing horizonally and as epoxy builds in the brush, wipe off excess as needed. I use LS Supreme which is thin. I apply 2 coats to my rods. As stated, epoxy will even out while turning. I flame some of my rods with an alcohol lamp to remove bubbles. The flame does not appear to change the even flow.

Hope this helps.

Bob Widmaier

Posted by: steve runyan (---.palmer.mtaonline.net)
Date: November 09, 2004 05:40PM

here's one other suggestion for leveling... use your alcohol torch to thin the epoxy.. i use flexcoat lite.. as rod is turning, the epoxy will sag to the bottom of the rod.. remove with horizontal brush stroke, evening the epoxy as you do.. .wipe off excess from brush, repeat as needed. This works well for me.

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: November 09, 2004 10:06PM

Credit card, playing card, heat and remove excess-all point to one thing: don't use too much!

Putter

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 11, 2004 09:51AM

Your post said "large area/around the sticker". If you are using LS Supreme and it is your first coat the edge of the sticker can cause some funny irregularities in the finish, i.e, small voids and dimples right at the edge. These things can be quite troublesome. If you will wait about five minutes or so after mixing to apple the finish it will minimize the "pulling" of the thin film of finish that is on the edge of the sticker. Flexcoat instructions note that funny things can happen to large areas of finish if they are applied before the polymerization process gets started. The best way to deal with this area is to do the sticker area with it up and the rod not turning. Apply a nice coat and let it seek its own level and the dimpling may not appear. If after a few seconds it tends to pull make a long slow stroke with the brush over the entire length of the edge. Don't fret too much if the dimples are there - a second coat will normally make them disappear.

Raning Hear Wether Bad Bad!

Not Gon Fishn

Posted by: Tony Hill (---.248.232.197.Dial1.Washington2.Level3.net)
Date: November 12, 2004 04:15PM

Mix your epoxy thoroughly, and then apply immediately, as thin as you can with good coverage. Turn and let harden for 5-6 hours, and then apply a second coat, and you should have great results.

Trying to apply to much ends up taking more time to correct than putting on two thinner coats. Being impatient, I have learned this the hard way.

Happy wrapping

Posted by: Tony Hill (---.248.233.193.Dial1.Washington2.Level3.net)
Date: November 12, 2004 08:33PM

But let me be honest here.

More often than not, what I do is mix up a batch of hi-build epoxy, and let it sit until it is like very thick honey, too thick to use with a brush. (@15 mins, depending on temperature and epoxy mix)

Then I take a flat plastic applicator, (about the size of a credit card, but with a bit more flex) and turning the rod with my free hand , I scoop and spread a smooth, level coat of epoxy in one smooth action.

Done in only a few turns, you can make it just the right thickness and with no bubbles. If you make bubbles, simply pull off the bad epoxy with the applicator and apply some fresh epoxy.

Sounds tricky, but when you try it, it's really easy and makes for excellent coverage and finished product. I big part of the trick is to make a straight, flexible plastic applicator about the size of the wraps. I cut mine from the clear bubble wrap that so many things are packaged in nowadays.

Using the partially set epoxy helps keep the edges of decals from lifting, and almost eliminates runs or droops. Not to mention the fact that it makes for faster turning times. I also put a lamp a few inches from the butt wrap while it turns to help speed the cure rate.

For me, this is the only way to fly!

Hope this helps.

TH

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster