I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rodmaker Magazine online ?
Posted by: Peter Mulbjerg (---.aalbkom.dk)
Date: March 01, 2002 08:09AM

I've been thinking maybe it would be nice to subscribe to Rodmaker Magazine but I think what is holding me back is the shipping cost to Denmark.

My suggestion is to make a web version of the Rodmaker Magazine - that way people from around the world would benefit from the information in the magazine - we could then subscribe to the magazine accessing it using passwords etc.

What do you think ?

best regards
Peter

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rodmaker Magazine online ?
Posted by: William Colby (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 01, 2002 08:28AM

I guess it's not so much what we think as it is what Rodmaker Magazine thinks and it has been made clear that they/he won't do it for various reasons.

How one guy manages to do as much as he does is beyond me anyway. Look at the masthead of magazines of the same size and you'll see 15 people on staff. To my knowledge Rodmaker has only one.

Do what you can do, Tom. That's all anybody can ask.

Posted by: Mike Naylor (---.state.md.us)
Date: March 01, 2002 09:40AM

Having the magazine truly on-line would be a tremendous amount of work, but simply scanning each issue and making a .pdf file would be childs play. The whole magazine could be sold by putting the files on this site, and making them accessible via a password sold just like a subscription- sort of like how you download the Clemens Catalog (except that this is free).

This would also be a fantastic way to get back issues, especially the ones that are now sold out. Pay your money, get a password, and go download the issue. It could even be article specific. Pay $5, get the two parts of the Fuji New Guide concept articles as one .pdf file. I would do this today if it was available.

Yes, someone could sell or give away the password- but the passwords could be set up to only work for a few days or weeks, so they wouldn't be useful except to those that they are sold to. People can also sell or give away their hardcopy once they have it (anyone could scan an article and e-mail it to everyone they know in 5 minutes were they so inclined). I think it's a great idea, and could really increase revenue at little cost of time or money while also making this fantastic knowledge more readily available.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialsprint.net)
Date: March 01, 2002 09:51AM

We already have had to take action against those who scan, copy and reproduce the magazine for sale. Making it available electronically would likely put RodMaker out of business. I have gone into this before and won't repeat why this would be a very bad thing for RodMaker. Sorry to say, it just isn't in the cards anytime in the near future. I appreciate the suggestions but unless you are on the inside of this thing you will not be aware of everything that has to be considered.

And yes William, RodMaker has a staff of just one person. And it is a 70 hour per week volunteer position. No salary or perks that I am aware of, yet. I am just lucky that we have some very good writers providing articles on a variety of topics.

Again, I appreciate the suggestions and comments but providing electronic copies of the magazine is not something I plan to pursue right now. With the size of the market we are involved in, it is almost a miracle that any full size magazine on rod building exists at all. With limited manpower, resources and readers, there are just some things that RodMaker cannot offer.

I suppose RodMaker looks good enough that when most people open a copy they suppose that the same publishing infrastructure exists here at RodMaker as it does at Sports Illustrated or Fly Fisherman - but it doesn't. Not by a long shot. Sorry, but my plate is full and I am doing all I can right now.

I won't be at RodMaker forever and perhaps whoever ends up with it eventually will be able to pursue some of these other mediums.

Posted by: Mike Naylor (---.state.md.us)
Date: March 01, 2002 11:09AM

Tom,

I appreciate that things are never as easy as they seem, but what about making sold out back-issues available as .pdf files?

There are several back issues I would like that are sold out, and there is no way for me to access them except by begging to borrow someone elses copy, and making copies for myself. I would rather pay you for a .pdf file. How else will you make another penny for the old issues you worked so hard to put together?

Every time a new person starts building rods, eventually they find out about you and your great magazine. First thing they do is order back issues (at least, that's what I did). As more sell out, you limit your opportunity to make money. OK, some people will abuse this, but there are honest people out there who will pay- and we want to give you our money ;- )

Date: March 01, 2002 12:04PM

I'm not trying to make money, seriously.

I try to keep updates available in new and fresh articles as we go along. Techniques improve and methods are developed that often supplant older ones. So nothing is really irreversably lost.

Some back issues, most notably the Feather Inlay issue, are in the process of being reprinted.

Feather Inlay issue
Date: March 01, 2002 04:05PM

And while we are at it - the Feather Inlay issue will be on press next week. I'll announce when it is ready for sale.

And again, Mike and the others who posted, I do appreaciate your suggestions. I only wish I could accomodate them all.

Re: Feather Inlay issue
Posted by: David Henney (---.dsl.wchtks.swbell.net)
Date: March 01, 2002 05:24PM

Check out www.powerfibers.com

Posted by: Peter Mulbjerg (---.aalbkom.dk)
Date: March 04, 2002 02:45AM

Hi Tom,

I didnt know that the Rodmaker Magazine was a "one man mission". Also didnt I know that this had been discussed before or the amount of work that goes into making a magazine or an online version of it or how little the market is for these things - I just wanted an easy access to the articles - the extra shipping cost is not putting more money in our pockets and it seemed a little much for making one rod per year.

But maybe I'll subscribe anyway..

Take care
Peter

Date: March 04, 2002 01:37PM

We no longer offer overseas subscriptions, but I did want to mention that most people feel the magazine does put quite a bit of extra money in their pockets - from the marketing and business type articles to all the other technical and how-to articles that save time and mistakes.

At least that's what a pretty large number of readers are telling me.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster