I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Question for Tom K - Vol. 3 #5
Posted by: Tom Church (---.tnt2.ij.net)
Date: November 07, 2004 08:39PM

This question is on photographing rods and is for Tom K. but would like to see other jump in as well. In Tom article in Rodmaker Volume 3 Number 5 he states that 35 mm cameras are the way to go when photographing custom rods. I am wondering if now, 4 years after this article, if you still feel the same?

As always thanks

Tom Church

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Question for Tom K - Vol. 3 #5
Posted by: Curt Weems (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: November 07, 2004 09:12PM

I think digitals are much better now in the past couple years. But I had a conversation with a very esteemed photo shop just last week and they told me that film still produced a better photograph than digital, but that digital was good enough now that the naked eye would have a hard time telling the difference.

Also, you can now get SLR 35mm style cameras in digital format. I would think that something like a Canon EOS SLR would be about the same either in film or digital.

Posted by: Travis Thompson (---.mad.wi.charter.com)
Date: November 07, 2004 11:02PM

Well After meeting with alot of photographers discussing wedding pictures it seems like they are recomending everything be done with digital due to the clarity of the newer modern didgital cameras. Second they swear by not developing anything via Wal-mart 1 hour photo places. She showed me how the colors degrade at one year incriments. She did the same with the print at home pictures. Which were awfull after only 2 years. I dont ever take any picures but just what I've been shown. Others here may be camera experts.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.152.54.52.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: November 08, 2004 08:46AM

At this point I'd probably urge you to go digital. I think the image quality is a mute point, provided you understand how to take good photographs.

You do need to be careful when selecting a camera, however. The functions of digital and film cameras are identical, only the medium for creating the images differs. Consumer digital cameras, just like their film counterparts, don't always have really good macro features, which is important when you want to take close up shots of threadwork and such. And, few consumer digital cameras allow you work past an aperature setting of F8, which means you simply cannot get good depth of field in your photos.

The camera that Curt mentions is a fantastic digital camera with the ability to accept macro and close-up lenses, plus, it works down to an aperature setting of F22. It's also about $1500 at the present time. The film version of that same camera is about 1/3rd that amount.

The cost of the better digital cameras continues to fall, so if you can find a consumer level digital model that will do most of what you want to do, I'd get that for now and make do for another couple years until the better and more professional models drop to a more convenient price.

Posted by: Cliff Hall (CMH) (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: November 10, 2004 11:00PM

This Thread cited below had 10 good Replies to this issue: [CMH]

Cost effective rod camera --Charles Fox-- 08-19-04 13:27
"Would anyone have info on some of the more cost effective cameras
(digital) to take close up pics of rods, guides, butt wraps, etc. with
appropiate filters, really seeking one for taking close up shots ..."

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster