I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod damaged during shipment Questions
Posted by: Jason Van Horn (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: November 05, 2004 11:12AM

I ordered a blank from one of the sponsors and it was damaged during shipment. When it arrived the tip was sticking out of the pipe almost 2" (it was shipped to my mothers, so my wife would not see it -it's for her- so I was not there to inspect it) Also there are scuff marks on the blank because it was not wrapped. The blank is blue can they be polished out?

I have seen many good responses about this sponsor (don't want to post name yet) so I'm sure they will help me. My question is should the rod blank have been wrapped to prevent scuffing?The rods were not "high end" but it seems like they should have been protected more.

I had planned on going to Cut Rate (local) and getting the rest of the parts that I need (eyes, epoxy, thread, and cork) later today. And I was going to order two more blanks in Cherry Red for the kids (wifes is Cobalt Blue). But now this may delay my plans and shorten the time that I have to build the rods.

Jason

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod damaged during shipment Questions
Date: November 05, 2004 11:15AM

Sorry,

For got to say that I have e-mailed them, and am awaiting a reply.

On a good note I cought 3 nice flounder last night.

Jason

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.152.57.34.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: November 05, 2004 11:24AM

Poor packaging couple with rough handling in shipping is tough on rod blanks. I've gotten plenty of blanks in that were just dropped in a tube or box - no plastic sleeve, no nothing. Some made it, some didn't.

You'll have a hard time getting out deep scuff marks as the blank finish is pretty thin - you're apt to go right through the finish to the graphite itself. This may not endanger the blank from a structural standpoint, but it won't look very good.

Personally, I'd have a hard time trusting a blank that was delivered with 2 inches of the tip protruding from the shipping tube.

Date: November 05, 2004 12:02PM

Thank you,

I guess I'll wait and see If I get a response.

Jason

Posted by: Steve Kartalia (---.155.87.190.Dial1.Baltimore1.Level3.net)
Date: November 05, 2004 12:10PM

I would feel justified in this case by politely requesting a replacement blank, even if the blank was not sent by insured mail. That packaging job should be considered negligent on the shipper's part as far as I'm concerned. It really doesn't take any effort at all to at least protect both ends of the shipping tube with crumpled newspapers or foam or something to keep the blank from rattling around or being rammed into the end of the shipping tube. A blank that rattles or gets rammed is going to be scratched up at the very least and very likely damaged in some way.

Posted by: Erik Hilliard (66.98.96.---)
Date: November 05, 2004 12:38PM

We can do our part as well by noting any visible damage to the packaging when we sign for delivery. This gives the vendor recourse against the carrier and prevents the vendor from having to eat the cost of the replacement (or passing it on to all of us).

Posted by: Erik Kunz (---.vascular.medtronic.com)
Date: November 05, 2004 01:24PM

I've had this very same thing happen to me on the last rod I ordered. This was an 11-foot one piece blank which did have a plastic sleeve on it but was only supported by each end within the tube. When the tube was moved, the rod would slap around inside. Also the tip had punctured the end cap at some point during transit just as you describe. For a $200 blank, I wasn't willing to accept that.

I called my supplier and they are sending me another blank and I'll return the scuffed one. I was clear to request a more robust packaging job this time... we'll see how that works out.

I've never had a problem with a supplier taking back a blank that arrived in poor condition... it's just one of the many frusterating inconveniences of rodbuilding.

Erik

Posted by: Jeff Fultz (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: November 05, 2004 06:09PM

Try spending over $350 for a top-of-the-line fly blank and having it arrive in just a thin tube similar to a paper towel tube. This was from one of the major, major rod manufactures and of course the thin little paper tube had been bent in half and the 4 piece rod was quickly turned into a 8 piecer. Yes the manufacturer replaced the blank but I sent the broken one back in a heavy walled PVC tube and requested the new blank be shipped back in the PVC.

I can understand controlling S&H charges on inexpensive import blanks that don't have a high profit margin, but customer dis-satisfaction will cost way more in the long run!

Oh ya, I did get a free T-shirt out of the deal (Yippee)! I guess they thought I really wanted to give them free advertising after this painful exercise in patience. The T-shirt has served me well as a great polishing rag in my shop. I still do business with this manufacturer, I'm just emphatic about how I want the blank to be handled.

Posted by: Patrick Vernacchio (---.telalaska.com)
Date: November 06, 2004 03:58AM

I hope the vendor makes the situation right. Too often we hear the bad stuff, so I thought I would heighten your hopes some with some good news. I returned a GLoomis HS-9000 to GLoomis for warranty replacement a few weeks ago. They sent the old rod back with a new blank protected at each end with nicely-secured bubble wrap. The paper tube they used was thick-walled, stiff, and very dense. The plastic end caps were taped to the tube. A rod I ordered from Bingham Enterprises some time ago came in a heavy-duty pvc tube with each end stuffed with wadding to prevent shifting and both ends heavily taped. In both instances, nothing was damaged due to the excellent shipping prep. I wish those who have had bad experiences be rewarded with a rectified situation that makes you happy. To thoses vendors who do, we should continue to support them and report on their positive business practices.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster