I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Sizing winding check
Posted by: Brent Shelton (---.clspco.adelphia.net)
Date: November 03, 2004 08:05PM

When trying to grind a knurled winding check to fit I destroyed the piece with my rotary tool. What do most of you use to resize the winding checks? What attachment to rotary tool? Thanks in advance.

Brent Shelton

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Sizing winding check
Posted by: Ed Michura (---.kcnet.org)
Date: November 03, 2004 08:09PM

Mic the blank and order one that fits.

Date: November 03, 2004 08:22PM

I was sent one that I was told "fits this blank" along with the reel seat and cork handle. Of course, I should have know better.

B. Shelton

Posted by: Jeff Shafer (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 03, 2004 08:46PM

Brent,
I also use nickel silver winding checks on my fly rods, and like to size them myself. My practice has been to get the blank first then measure for a winding check. When I purchase one, it is my preference to get one that is larger than the diameter of the blank. I do this because I like to have a cushion of thread or just epoxy between the NS winding check and the blank. If the blank flexes that far down the blank, I don't want the winding check cutting into the blank. This practice was passed down by a friend who had a rod break off cleanly right at the ring. It was the impression of the blank manufacturer that his ring, fit exactly to the diameter of the blank, cut into the rod.

When I wrap thread back against the cork grip, size A thread adds about 15/1000 to the blank diameter.

I hope this helps. If you want a copy of a chart I created for myself send me an email and I'll send it to you (Excel format).

Jeff Shafer

Posted by: Patrick Vernacchio (---.telalaska.com)
Date: November 04, 2004 01:10AM

I don't even think about winding checks until the handles and reel seat are firmly in place, and then it's hand fit only. There is almost no way to perfectly size a winding check until you determine the absolute location. When I do buy winding checks for rods not yet built, I always buy over & undersized checks to cover all of the bases.
Good luck

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.183.31.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: November 04, 2004 06:40AM

I have used ' toe rings " sounds dumb but they are easy to work with. Soft and can be shaped to fit most any blank. Or just buy several of each size and have them in stock

Posted by: Stan Grace (---.hln-mt.client.bresnan.net)
Date: November 04, 2004 11:28AM

If a winding check is slightly undersized they can be expanded using a punch or mandrel with a long taper. Place the winding check over the tool and position it until it is snug. Using a hardwood block or similar sleeve bored to fit loosely over the tool and up against the winding check tap it lightly to expand the winding check. This system of expansion when used judiciously can be of help.

Date: November 05, 2004 07:51AM

Thanks for all the help! I truly appreciate it.

Brent Shelton

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster