I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Impregnating cane and osmosis ??
Posted by: Peter Mulbjerg (---.aalbkom.dk)
Date: February 28, 2002 09:38AM

Thanks for the initial answers about cane for salt.

Tom, you mentioned that there are several ways if you want to impregnate cane and I got some answers in England about using heated tung oil or a heated mixture of oil and terpentine (50/50) - not too hot i guess :-)

Could you (or others) describe some of the ways of doing this ? Will the describes methods (using oil) work ?

Another guy mentioned that saltwater actually would do less harm to cane than freshwater - had something to do with osmosis ??? Does this sound familiar to any of you ?

And finally - is it possible to varnish an impregnated rod ? (double protection - but added weight)

thanks
Peter

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Impregnating cane and osmosis ??
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialsprint.net)
Date: February 28, 2002 10:18AM

You could varnish an impregnated rod but there would be no need. A coat of wax would be all the extra protection you would likely need.

Most of the processes you describe are such that the resin is absorbed into the cane. Even varnish may penetrate the cane to some depth so it results in much the same thing. That is not what I would call impregnation.

The best impregnation methods I am aware of are those where a resin/plastic is forced into the cane through pressure/vacuum. Few rod builders have the type equipment to do this with. I have not actually done this with cane so I don't feel I could give you any really helpful information on this. Perhaps someone else here can.

Posted by: John Minnerath (---.WYOMING.COM)
Date: February 28, 2002 11:20AM

If you come across an impregnation process that seems adaptable to a small home shop, I'd sure like to hear about it. I've been tracking down and reading the patents issued for impregnation at the USPO site, but most seem too involved for a small set-up.I've found a few that use only baths of heated solutions and they might be the most promising.

Posted by: Mark Wendt (---.nrl.navy.mil)
Date: February 28, 2002 02:01PM

Actually, the impregnation can be pretty simple. You need a 1 1/2" steel pipe, long enough to hold the rod sections, and about 4" - 5" longer. Thread both ends, and fit pipe end caps on them. On one end, drill and tap a hole, so that it'll take a pressure fitting that you can pump air into the pipe from a compressor. Next, get a bunch of Lexan, bust it up into small pieces, and some acetone, enough to fill up the pipe with the rod sections in it, and let the lexan dissolve in the acetone. Put the rod sections into the pipe, pour in the lexan/acetone solution, cap it and let it sit overnight. The next day, put pressure into the pipe, say 15 or 20 psi, and again let it sit overnight. The next day, let off the pressure, unscrew the top cap, drain the solution, hang up the rod and let it dry overnight. Viola, impregnated rod.

Posted by: John Minnerath (---.WYOMING.COM)
Date: February 28, 2002 09:43PM

Can you provide more info? What does it do to the color of the cane? Will plexiglass work or only lexan? I found a reference to disolving acrylic in acetone and I think plexiglass and lexan are acrylics. I seem to remember that the article mentioned days or weeks to disolve the plastic though.

Date: March 01, 2002 02:25AM

Seems pretty simple Mark,

but how do you prepare the rod for this. I remember reading about this process somewhere and there was something about creating a vacuum first to drive out the moisture from the cane or do you use heat to do this ?

Another think - what is Lexan ?

Thanks
Peter

Date: March 01, 2002 03:06AM

I did a search - is it correct that Lexan is a polycarbonate product used for channel plates for light roof constructions ?

Peter

Date: March 01, 2002 07:24AM

So I did another search and found out that the vacuum is not used to draw out moisture, but air from inside the bamboo.

This is a little hard for me to explain, but its something like - place the sections in the "tube" - draw a vacuum on the tube for a while - then slowly introduce the impregnation fluid into the tube as the vacuum reduces letting the vacuum suck the fluid into the tube - you are basically replacing the air with the fluid. Some even apply pressure to the tube after this to force even more fluid into the cane.
I read that Bob Nunley did the same with thinned varnish and then broke the cane to see the effect - impregnated all the way trough.

Someone wrote that Orvis left the sections soaking in a warm bakelit solution for 30 days - no vacuum or pressure.

So I guess there really are several ways to go about this, but I really still need to know if I got the Lexan thing right and if I did - would I not be making a "plastic-cane" rod ?

Another thing - should a special glue be used for an impregnated rod ?

Thanks
Peter
(sorry about all the post - just very interesting I think)

Date: March 01, 2002 08:19AM

I was just going on memory, from some experimenting that was done on the cane rod builder's list. I may be off on some of my times, so your mileage may vary... ;^} Experiment with it, and see what you come up with. If I recall correctly, you can either use vacuum or pressure. I'll see if I can dig up some of the original posts on the subject.

Date: March 01, 2002 12:15PM

Oops, my bad on the Lexan. one of the bamboo rod makers, by the name of Bob Nuley, uses regular plexiglas, and acetone. According to the article in the July 2001 of Powerfibers, he takes small chunks of plexiglas, drops them into the acetone until the solution gets to the consistency of pancake syrup. He then soaks the rod section in the solution in what he calls a vacuum/pressure tube, like I mentioned above. He then goes on to say that the vacuum/pressure setup isn't necessary, you can just soak the components for 48 hours, and it will be completely saturated. After the 48 hours, take the component out of the solution, and let it cure for a few days, so that the acetone will evaporate out of the component. He was doing this for bamboo ferrules, but I would assume it would also work for rod sections. He mentions that other folks do this for reel seat fillers also.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster